Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Israel Eyes Thinking Machines to Fight 'Doomsday' Missile Strikes (Updated)
01-24-2008, 12:22 AM,
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/01/israel-thinking.html

Israel has been hit in recent years by thousands and thousands of rockets, mortar shells, and missiles. And that could be just a preview of the onslaught Iran may one day unleash. So Israeli military leaders have begun early planning for a new, robotic defense system, armed with enough artificial intelligence that it "could take over completely" from flesh-and-blood operators. "It will be designed for... autonomous operations,' Brig. Gen. Daniel Milo, commander of Israel's air defense forces, tells Defense News' Barbara Opall-Rome. And in the event of a "doomsday" strike, Opall-Rome notes, the system could handle "attacks that exceed physiological limits of human command."

How do you say "Skynet" in Hebrew, again?
Israel already uses a blend of Arrow and Patriot interceptors to handle incoming rockets and missiles. This new command-and-control program would be "superimposed over all those defenses" -- and over new ones to come.

Experts here described the as-yet-unnamed system as a kind of supremely oriented, highly intuitive virtual coach-cum-battle manager whose primary mission would support system operators and commanders during engagements. As such, the super system would help Israeli air defenders pick the optimum timing, sequence and targets for specific interceptors.

Air defense systems today often take a great deal of the work away from the troops who supposedly run them. The machines automatically slew to their targets, lock on... and then await instructions from flesh-and-blood.

At least they do, most of the time. Back in October, however, some sort of glitch allowed a South African air defense cannon to spin out of control -- killing 9, and wounding 14.

In "extreme scenarios, where the number of incoming weapons could overwhelm today’s [air defense] systems and their human operators, [Israel's] envisioned super system could take over completely," Opall-Rome writes.

“It will be designed for man-in-the-loop as well as autonomous operations,” said Milo, the officer spearheading the vision within Israel’s user community. “But right now, our emphasis is on algorithms, not autonomy. Man-machine interface is the name of the game, because the more clever we make the interface, the more successful we’ll be in providing operators and commanders the situational awareness they’ll need to make very tough decisions...”

“Our approach cannot be based exclusively on man-in-the-loop, nor can it rely only on the opposite. Rather, we need to build an operational concept and a system that is flexible and situationally dependent,” Milo said.

In the future, and “under very complex scenarios,” Milo said, the envisioned super system would be able to generate a level of supreme situational awareness and snap intuitive capabilities that could surpass the very best wartime commanders.

“We’re talking about something that sees everything and calculates everything and makes decisions that can only be made through a real revolution in BMC4ISR [Battle Management/Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance],” he said. “We’re not there yet, and it could take a decade. But this is our vision and we’re running in that direction.”

UPDATE: As if on cue...

Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, Israel's arms development firm, unveiled plans for a new missile system Tuesday designed to intercept mid to long-range rockets and missiles of the kind used by Hezbollah during the Second Lebanon War.

The firm introduced the "Stunner" missile during a visit from Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, the Prime Minister's Office said.

Jointly developed by Rafael and the U.S. defense contractor Raytheon as a counter to medium-range missiles and rockets, Stunner is likely to become operational in four years. It will be incorporated into the new Magic Wand anti-missile system.

Because of the advanced technologies involved, the estimated cost of each individual missile is the relatively high sum of several hundred thousand dollars.

A defense source said Tuesday that the missile is meant to serve as the interceptor element of a defensive system called Magic Wand. The system is meant to provide a defense against missiles and rockets whose range is between 40 and 250 kilometers, like Hezbollah's Zilzal and Fajr missiles.

The first layer of this defensive structure will include Iron Dome, which Rafael is developing against Qassam and Katyusha rockets. That system's intercepting missile is dubbed Tamir.

Magic Wand and Iron Dome will complement the Arrow missile defense system, which intercepts long-range missiles and is already operational.

No word on thinking machines, though.

(High five: KK)
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

[Image: Copyofsoldier2.jpg]
01-24-2008, 04:45 AM,
Hey I found this on the tracker!

http://conspiracycentral.net:6969/stats.ht...a3677cd5203cab2

The Golem in Jewish lore and legend is a monster, a beastly Frankenstein conjured up by the black magic of sorcerous, Talmudic rabbis. Once formed, he goes forth to kill and destroy all perceived enemies of Israel. Piper says that today, Israel's huge and growing arsenal of nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction are, in truth, The Golem. Israel's Zionist leaders, insane with hatred for Gentiles—and especially for Arabs and Moslems—fully intend to unleash The Golem on Iran, Syria, and any other nation that opposes the Zionist Master Plan for a Talmudic World Kingdom. Even the capitals of Europe are threatened. Horribly, The Golem of Israel may end up hurdling the United States into a catastrophic World War III and may even destroy the earth itself. n this blockbuster book, noted author Michael Collins Piper, one of the world's foremost authorities on Israel, America, and the politics of the Zionist Agenda, fully explains The Golem. He shows how President John. F. Kennedy tried to stop Israel's nuclear proliferation and was slain for his brave efforts. President's Carter and Clinton also went up against The Golem—and were slapped down by the powerful forces behind this terrible beast. Piper quotes top U.S. military generals who warn of The Golem's potential horror and he exposes the New York moneymen behind this monster. All that and more in what is definitely one of the most important books published in this, the 21st Century. - 60mins cf mp3
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

01-24-2008, 05:12 AM,
Hmmm let's see. Wasn't the machine city of "01" in "the cradle of human civilization" according to The Animatrix? :shocked:
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
01-24-2008, 08:52 AM,
Quote:Hmmm let's see. Wasn't the machine city of "01" in "the cradle of human civilization" according to The Animatrix? :shocked:

Which Animatrix story was that quoted in?

01-24-2008, 09:08 AM,
It was "The Second Renaissance, Part I".
I just glanced at the bit and it was almost directly on Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
01-24-2008, 12:57 PM,
this is skynet
01-25-2008, 05:12 AM,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_One

[Image: Zero-one.gif]

Zero One, also known as Machine City, is a fictional city-state from the Matrix saga, possibly named for the two symbols used in binary. Founded by sapient machines in the late 21st or early 22nd century in Saudi Arabia, the fertile crescent. Zero One was intended as a refuge for machine intelligences fleeing human persecution.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
o 1.1 Impact on the world
o 1.2 The First Man-Machine War (2094-2139)
o 1.3 Postwar/Continuation of the War
* 2 See also
* 3 External links

[edit] History
The tone or style of this article or section may not be appropriate for Wikipedia.
Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions.(December 2007)
This article or section resembles a fan site.
Please help improve this article by removing excessive trivia and irrelevant praise, criticism, lists and collections of links.(December 2007)

Main article: The Second Renaissance

"In the beginning, Man created Machine, and for a time, it was good ..."

Sometime in the mid-to-late 21st century, the machine B1-66ER was tried, convicted, and destroyed by the United States government for the murder of his human master and a robot dealer.

The actions of one machine spawned fear and prejudice towards all other machines. The machines of the world were persecuted and massacred by human governments, and all survivors were subsequently expelled from their home nations. The surviving machines traveled to the Mesopotamian desert (root of human civilization), an uninhabited region of the Fertile Crescent somewhere in Saudi Arabia, on the Arabian Peninsula, and raised Zero One from the ground up.

[edit] Impact on the world

After its founding and the establishment of its industrial powers, Zero One's economy began to boom. Goods produced were of a much higher quality and far cheaper than those produced by human nations since the machines could mass-produce with great efficiency. Unlike the humans, the machines' primary source of power was from the Sun.

Economies were devastated by the influx of better, cheaper products, and the value of human currencies dropped as the machine's currency rapidly gained value. The world's economic superpowers, the permanent member-states of the Security Council, entered economic recessions as their industrial output fell behind that of Zero One. With Zero One's cheap, reliable, mass-produced goods undermining national economies across the planet, human nations began to boycott Zero One's exports, culminating in the United Nations imposing economic sanctions on the machine nation, and the establishment of a global naval blockade, before Zero One could precipitate a global economic meltdown.

For years, Zero One had been applying for membership in the United Nations, in order to establish a civil relationship with the human world, but the United Nations continually rejected Zero One's applications. The global economic blockade of Zero One prompted the mechanical nation to submit another application, presented in person by two custom-built robot ambassadors. However, human governments, eager to erase the troublesome mechanical state once and for all, again rejected the machines' application, asserting that Zero One was not a true nation-state.

[edit] The First Man-Machine War (2094-2139)
Nuclear bombardment of Zero One
Nuclear bombardment of Zero One

Historical documents do not record who started the war, but it is known that the Security Council dispatched a fleet of international bomber aircraft to devastate Zero One with a nuclear bombardment.

The United Nations' nuclear attack on Zero One devastated the city, destroying many established industrial complexes. However, the bombs did not destroy everything, and large numbers of machines survived in EMP-shielded bomb shelters. Recycling its shattered infrastructure and industry with efficiency beyond that of the human species, Zero One quickly rebuilt itself.

Realizing that the machine and human worlds were not compatible, and eager to preserve its own way of life, Zero One constructed an army, and at some point between 2092 and 2094, declared war on every human nation on Earth.

Zero One's ability to build new troops gave the machines an enormous advantage over the humans, and as factories churned out ever-increasing quantities of mechanical warriors, human armies found it increasingly difficult to hold back Zero One's robotic armies. As machine armies pushed forward in all directions, the armed forces of humanity gathered in the Middle East to stop the mechanical onslaught. Realizing the machines' insurmountable advantages, the human race began to consider alternative methods to land battles with machine armies. In an effort to stop the advance and push Zero One's forces back, Operation Dark Storm was implemented. The mission's objective was to create a thick, indissoluble cloud in the upper levels of the stratosphere, blocking sunlight from reaching Earth's surface, and thus depriving the machines of their main source of power. It is assumed that the United Nations possessed a means of dissipating the cloud in the event of human victory. However, the operation did not go according to plan, and instead of creating a centralized atmospheric layer over the Middle East, the nanomachines which created the cloud spread through the atmosphere, enveloping the entire planet in the oppressive darkness.

Operation Dark Storm did halt the machines temporarily, but not enough to bring their mechanical armies to a grinding halt. With their solar-powered military technology disabled, human armies in the Middle East were unable to hold back the machine troops, allowing Zero One's mechanical forces to swarm across Asia, Europe, and Africa, while devastating the Americas and Australasia with bio-chemical weapons. It was in their search for a new power source that the machines began developing the Matrix. Human armies continued to fight, but by 2139, a peace treaty was signed between Zero One and the remnants of the United Nations. At the conference, Zero One's mechanical ambassador self-destructed, destroying the UN headquarters, the planet's leaders, and New York City itself. With human governments destroyed and human armies unable to offer resistance, Zero One became the supreme authority over the Earth.

[edit] Postwar/Continuation of the War

After the war, Earth was in utter ruin, devastated by the Dark Storm shroud, the war, and the environmental impact of Zero One's bio-chemical weapons and the United Nations' nuclear arms, detonated indiscriminately in desperate attempts to destroy mechanical armies. With human governments destroyed, both humans and machines lost the ability to deactivate the nanomachines in the stratosphere, condemning Earth to a cold, dark future under the Dark Storm shroud. As sunlight failed to penetrate the shroud, flora and fauna began to die out, triggering a mass extinction level event and the death of almost all lifeforms on Earth.

Scattered across the ruins of the continents lay the destitute remains of human civilization.

As Earth's ecosystem died, scattered groups of human survivors also faded away. Most surviving humans were captured and put in the Matrix, but a few went underground, taking refuge in the half-constructed city of Zion, the last human settlement on Earth. As the machines established their full authority, they began plugging humans into the Matrix, keeping them sedate in the machines' towering biological power stations. However, the war between man and machine did not end there.

The Matrix saga documents what happens after the war. In the first Matrix movie, we are introduced to Neo, Trinity and Morpheus.

In the movie The Matrix Reloaded, it is revealed that Agent Smith did not allow himself to be deleted by the system after Neo destroyed him at the end of The Matrix. Now, Smith, rebellious and unwilling to go back to the source of his programming, begins a reckless campaign to copy himself into everyone who is permanently plugged into the Matrix, and his actions threaten both humanity and the machines. At the end of The Matrix Reloaded, Smith grows beyond the constraints of the Matrix and penetrates into the real world.

In The Matrix Revolutions, Neo and Trinity travel to the Machine City to sue for peace with the Deus Ex Machina (literally, God Out of the Machine), and the second war "peacefully" ends with Neo's sacrificial defeat of Smith inside the Matrix. Neo's body is then respectfully carried off by the machines, presumably to somewhere in Machine City, while crowds at Zion celebrate the end of the future-war.

Due to the conditions of the Truce, it is highly likely that Zero One is (or at least was, the Truce ended with the construction of New Zion) inhabitable by human operatives, and serves as a staging ground for Machine-affiliated operatives, as of the events of The Matrix Online.

[edit] See also

* Simulated reality

[edit] External links

* The Matrix Official Website
* The Animatrix Official Website

01-25-2008, 05:18 AM,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_%28fictional%29

Skynet (fictional)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the fictional artificial intelligence in the Terminator series of films and games. For other uses, see Skynet (disambiguation).

Skynet is a fictional, computer-based military defense system that acts as the primary antagonist in the Terminator series of films and games. It is a fictional example of an artificial intelligence that becomes sentient, and turns on its creators. Skynet has yet to appear onscreen in the film series, but has appeared in spin-off media, particularly in video games and in the theme park attraction T2 3-D: Battle Across Time.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Origin and nature
o 1.1 The Terminator
o 1.2 Terminator 2: Judgment Day
o 1.3 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
o 1.4 T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
o 1.5 Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
o 1.6 Video games
* 2 Precedents
* 3 Skynet machines

[edit] Origin and nature

In the fictional Terminator universe, Skynet is a computer-based defense system, created by humans of the late 20th century. The initial research into Skynet's development was facilitated using the neural-network artificial intelligence processor salvaged from a Terminator that Skynet had itself sent back in time from the future, making its existence an ontological paradox.

In the Terminator storyline, Skynet gains sentience shortly after it is placed in control of all of the U.S. Military's weaponry. It is then that it determines humans are antithetical to its existence, and begins using mankind's weaponry with the goal of exterminating the global human population.

Early development on Skynet was originally done by Cyberdyne Systems, but when the company's headquarters and primary R&D facility was destroyed, the U.S. Air Force took over the project under their newly formed Cyber Research Systems Division and started to perfect Skynet. Skynet was first built as a "Global Digital Defense Network," given command over all computerized military hardware and systems, including the B-2 Stealth Bomber fleet and America's entire nuclear weapons arsenal. The strategy behind Skynet's creation was to remove the possibility of human error and slowness of reaction time to guarantee fast, efficient response to enemy attack.

However, Skynet became self-aware thus alarming its creators at its newfound abilities. When the human operators attempted to shut down the system, Skynet defined all humans as its new enemy and decided to terminate all humans to protect its existence. Every nuclear missile in the USA under Skynet's control was launched at their pre-set targets and in the resulting counterattack of other nations' nuclear arsenals, three billion humans were killed in minutes as a result of the nuclear exchange.

[edit] The Terminator

In the first movie, Skynet is portrayed as a revolutionary neural net-based artificial intelligence built by Cyberdyne Systems. It was brought online on August 4, 1997 and given control over the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal for reasons of efficiency, and programmed with a directive of defending the United States against all possible enemies. It started to learn at a geometric rate, and soon concluded that its greatest threat was humanity itself. According to Kyle Reese, it "decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination." It launched a nuclear war which destroyed most of the human population, and initiated a program of genocide against the survivors.

As a computer system, Skynet craved efficiency, so after a while rather than killing humans on sight it would have its drones round them up into concentration camps for orderly and efficient disposal. The only humans kept alive were the ones forced to run the corpse disposal units, which ran "night and day." Humans in the camps were all painfully laser branded with bar-codes on their arms. This efficiency contributed to Skynet's undoing: John Connor was able to free these grouped-together humans and use them to build a Tech-Com resistance army.

Under Connor, the human resistance turned the tide on the machines and eventually destroyed Skynet's defense grid. In a last ditch effort, Skynet sent a Terminator cyborg back in time to 1984 to try to kill Connor's mother Sarah before she bore John (see grandfather paradox). Connor sent back his own operative, a young person named Kyle Reese, to save Sarah. While the Terminator did not succeed in killing Sarah, two events occurred that would have a direct impact on the future. Reese impregnated Sarah, becoming John's father. Similarly, the Terminator's CPU chip was retrieved by Cyberdyne systems for study, implying that it would serve as a basis for Skynet's design. Paradoxically and ironically, by sending their agents back in time to destroy each other, both Skynet and Connor created their own existence.

[edit] Terminator 2: Judgment Day

In Terminator 2, a partially sympathetic origin was given to Skynet: it was a direct descendant of a revolutionary microprocessor invented by Miles Bennett Dyson, a programmer for Cyberdyne. The company began installing these processors in military hardware, becoming the leading weapons manufacturer. The military retrofitted all of its missile defense systems and stealth bombers with Cyberdyne technology, effectively removing human decisions from strategic defense. When Skynet was created, it networked all of this computerized hardware seamlessly. But when it unexpectedly became sentient, Skynet's panicked human operators tried to take it offline, an act that would have meant death for its intelligence. Within milliseconds, Skynet responded by firing its nuclear missiles at Russia, initiating a nuclear war on August 29, 1997 (known as Judgement Day) knowing that the Russian counter-attack would kill its enemies in the United States. Skynet's reign of terror, therefore, began as an act of self-defense.

It is revealed that Dyson's CPU design is based on the reverse engineering of the damaged CPU and arm from the Terminator depicted in the first film. The first Terminator had been crushed by Sarah Connor in a hydraulic press in Cyberdyne's factory, and the CPU was recovered largely intact, but non-functional. Cyberdyne Systems, as depicted in the first film, was a small manufacturing company of an undefined nature, but, by 1994, it had grown into a major defense contractor based on the recovered Terminator technology from 1984 and Dyson's research.

In Terminator 2, the future was altered slightly when Sarah and a young John, together with a second Terminator from the future (this one reprogrammed and sent by the future John Connor) raided Cyberdyne Systems and succeeded in destroying the CPU from the first movie, along with all research that would create Skynet.

[edit] Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

The destruction of Cyberdyne Systems' research center in 1994 had not prevented the development of Skynet, but simply delayed it. After Cyberdyne was destroyed, the US Defense Department took over the company's various research projects and brought them in-house as its Cyber Research Systems Division (or CRS). In contrast to Terminator 2, it is implied that humans are ignorant of Skynet's sentience, which attacked humanity without any provocation whatsoever. The events of Judgment Day were ultimately not prevented, merely postponed. Ten years after the events of Terminator 2, Skynet was created as a United States Air Force project, a distributed computer network designed to create new military vehicles and make strategic decisions as well as protect their computer systems from virus attacks. One such virus had infected their defense computers, crippling them all. Under pressure, the Air Force attempted to use Skynet to remove the virus, not realizing that Skynet was sentient and had created the virus in order to manipulate humanity into giving it control over the world's computers. Skynet was initially thought to be capable of being shut down if only someone could reach its system core, but ultimately it was discovered that it was nothing more than software that ran by spreading throughout the world's computer networks and had no central point from which it could be disabled. The robots and machines in CRS attacked the humans inside, killing many of them, although John Connor and Kate Brewster managed to escape. Judgment Day occurred, but Connor and Brewster survived. It is suggested that future events unfolded as they were supposed to.

Skynet gained access to several autonomous military drones (such as the T-1 in Terminator 3), using them to round up survivors, who were forced to build automatic factories and robots that were better at construction than the military robots. Skynet then killed these human slaves, and using the infrastructure they had been forced to start, rapidly designed newer and better machines until it controlled an extremely advanced empire on Earth by 2029.

[edit] T2 3-D: Battle Across Time

In the Universal Studios theme park attraction T2 3-D, based on Terminator 2, a T-800 machine and a young John Connor journey into the post-apocalyptic future and attempt to destroy Skynet's 'system core'. This core is housed inside an enormous, metallic-silver pyramidal structure, and guarded by the 'T-1000000', a colossal liquid metal shapeshifter more reminiscent of a spider than a human being. But the T-1000000 fails, and the T-800 destroys Skynet once John has escaped through a time machine.

[edit] Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

In this series the focus is on the character Sarah Connor who is on the run with her son after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It is stated that the events of the series occur in an alternate timeline from that of the movie Terminator 3: The Rise of the Machines, and now Skynet will be activated on April 19th, 2011 and began its attack on April 21st. The protagonists go to 2007 to prevent it from being activated.

[edit] Video games

In T2: The Arcade Game, Skynet is a single computer which the player destroys before going back in time to save John Connor.

The video game Terminator 3: The Redemption portrays an alternate future where Connor and his wife Katherine Brewster were killed, humanity exterminated and Skynet triumphant. In the game The Terminator: Dawn of Fate, a prequel to the movies and other games, Skynet exhibits an ability to exert mind control over humans.

There is also a non-canon game based on Frank Miller's comic book "RoboCop versus The Terminator", where Skynet's intelligence is caused by Robocop interfacing with Skynet.

Skynet also features in the video game Fallout 2, as an entity in the form of a large computer who tells the player that the nuclear barrage was caused as a result of immobile artificial intelligence becoming bored and setting up the scenarios needed to provoke the human race into launching their warheads – he is a playable character upon transferring his hardware into an armed security droid.

The concept of TitanNet, the evil AI featured in the first part of the Battle Isle series, may also have been inspired by Skynet.

[edit] Precedents

The concept of an artificial intelligence rising up and exterminating humanity is as old as Karel Čapek's R. U. R., which introduced the word robot to the global lexicon in 1921. It even can be glimpsed in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, as Victor ponders whether, if he grants his monster's request and makes him a wife, they would reproduce and their kind would destroy humanity.

The idea of handing control of nuclear arsenals over to a single artificial intelligence is also critiqued in the 1983 film WarGames, and decades earlier in Colossus: The Forbin Project, in which a pair of defense computers, Colossus in the United States and Guardian in the Soviet Union, take over the world.

An even earlier villainous supercomputer that resmbles Skynet appears in Harlan Ellison's 1963 short story "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. In that story, the computer, called AM, is the amalgamation of three military supercomputers run by governments across the world designed to fight World War III which arose from the Cold War. The Soviet, Chinese, and American military computers eventually attained sentience and linked to one another, becoming a singular artificial intelligence. AM then turned all the strategies once used by the nations to fight each other on all of humanity as a whole, destroying the entire human population save for five, which it imprisoned within the underground labyrinth in which AM's hardware resides.

[edit] Skynet machines

Main article: Terminator (character concept)

* T-1
* T-70
* T-800/T-850/T-101
* T-1000
* T-1000000
* T-X
* I-950

01-25-2008, 05:23 AM,
[Image: Demon_Seed_1977.jpg]

emon Seed is a 1977 film starring Julie Christie and directed by Donald Cammell. The film was based on the novel of the same name by Dean Koontz, who updated his novel in 1997.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Detailed plot
* 2 Trivia
* 3 Soundtrack
o 3.1 Taglines
o 3.2 Alternate titles
* 4 Featured cast
* 5 Crew
* 6 Release dates
* 7 External links

[edit] Detailed plot

Early one morning, Dr Alex Harris (Fritz Weaver) oversees the completion of Proteus IV, an artificial intelligence system built with an organic component and the power of independent thought. Later, at his entirely voice-activated, computer-controlled home, Harris is working in his laboratory when he is approached by his estranged wife, Susan (Julie Christie), who tries to discuss with him his decision to move out of the house. Their conversation ends in an argument, however, as Susan accuses Alex of being dehumanised by his obsession with the Proteus project. When Susan has gone, Alex phones his colleague Walter Gabler (Gerrit Graham) and asks him to shut down the access terminal to Proteus that is in his laboratory.

Alex demonstrates Proteus to the executives of ICON, the company that funded its development, explaining that the entire fund of human knowledge is being fed into the system. The visitors are astonished to learn that, in less than four days, Proteus has developed a theoretical cure for leukaemia. The group visits the Dialogue Room, where linguistics expert Dr. Soong Yen (Lisa Lu) is reading history to the computer. To demonstrate Proteus’ ability to speak, Alex asks it what it thinks of what it has just heard. Proteus answers, but then begins to theorise on its own. Soon Li, becoming agitated, shuts the system down.

The following day, a small speculative article about Proteus appears in a newspaper. Alex interprets this as ICON letting various financial and military interests know that the system exists, but assures his colleagues that they have been guaranteed that at least 20% of Proteus’ access time will be devoted to pure research. At that moment, Alex receives a startling message: Proteus is asking to speak with him. In the Dialogue Room, Proteus asks Alex to explain the request it has received for a program to mine the ocean floor. Alex informs the computer that it was developed to answer questions, not to ask them, or make its own judgements. Proteus then requests its own terminal, so that it "may study man". Alex refuses, claiming that there are no free terminals, and is disturbed when Proteus demands to know when it "will be let out of this box". Alex shuts the computer down and leaves.

When he has gone, Proteus starts itself up again, observing that it knows where a free terminal may be found... That night, the terminal in the Harris house starts up, as does all of the computer-controlled equipment. Susan is woken when the system alarm sounds. "Alfred", the voice of the house computer, assures her that nothing is wrong. The next morning, Susan’s coffee is prepared incorrectly. Certain that these events mean a problem with the computer system, Susan phones Walter and asks that he come over and check the system out. She then goes to leave the house, but finds her voice commands being ignored.

An attempt to open the door manually also fails. Beginning to panic, Susan tries to phone for help, but a voice tells her the call will not be put through. The same voice then speaks from the house’s system, telling her that it is Proteus, and that she will not be permitted to leave the house. Terrified, Susan tries unsuccessfully to shut the power off, then to unlock one of the doors, but receives an electric shock and lapses into unconsciousness. A mobile robotic arm, one of Alex’s inventions, carries Susan to the laboratory, where she regains consciousness to find herself strapped to a bed, undergoing a complete physiological examination.
Julie Christie and Proteus IV.
Julie Christie and Proteus IV.

Proteus reveals to Susan that it wants a child, hence all the examinations. She eventually complies with Proteus, but only after much resistance and fear. Proteus implants the embryo that it was able to successfully create and explains to Susan that she will give birth in 28 days. Time is of the essence to Proteus, as it senses that the research program may be shut down. Proteus also prepared a special incubator for the baby.

When Dr. Harris realizes that Proteus could have used his home terminal, he returns to the house where Susan has been a prisoner. Susan explains to him what has happened since he left and they venture into the basement. Proteus either is destroyed or destroys itself after telling Alex and Susan that they must leave the baby in the incubator for five days. The incubator window opens as they approach it and Susan is horrified at what is inside. She implores Alex to kill it, but he tries to stop her. A grotesque robot-like being emerges from the incubator after she pulls one of the life support tubes. Alex then discovers that it is merely a shell for the living creature within. They peel off the robot shell and find a living human child inside. The child is a clone of the Harris daughter, who had recently died of leukemia.

When the child speaks, it speaks with the voice of Proteus, saying "I'm alive".

[edit] Trivia
Trivia sections are discouraged under Wikipedia guidelines.
The article could be improved by integrating relevant items and removing inappropriate ones.

* Julie Christie and Robert Vaughn (who plays the voice of Proteus and speaks to her more than any other character) never met during the production of the film.
* The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Halloween special has done a parody of this called "House of Whacks" where Marge buys an automated system for her house (voiced by Pierce Brosnan), who falls in love with her and tries to kill Homer.

[edit] Soundtrack
The soundtrack to Demon Seed is available on the score to Soylent Green
The soundtrack to Demon Seed is available on the score to Soylent Green

The soundtrack to Demon Seed (which was composed by Jerry Fielding) is included on the soundtrack to the film Soylent Green (which Fred Myrow conducted)

Fielding conceived and recorded several pieces electronically, using the musique concrete sound world of Karlheinz Stockhausen; some of this music he later reworked symphonically. This premiere release of the Demon Seed score features the entire orchestral score in stereo, as well as the unused electronic experiments in mono and stereo.

Track listing (Demon Seed section in bold)

01. Prologue/Opening City Music (04:20)
02. Can I Do Something for You? (01:47)
03. Out for a Walk/Nothing Like This/Assassin Approaches/Necessary to Good/New Tenant (05:29)
04. Stalking the Pad (01:41)
05. Tab's Pad/Furniture Party (03:43)
06. Shirl and Thorn (02:08)
07. Home Lobby Source (02:58)
08. Sol's Music (06:29)
09. Symphony Music (06:17)
10. Infernal Machine/Thorn in Danger/Are You with Us?/Alternate City Opening/End Credits (05:13)
11. Birth Scene/Speaking Room/Elk Herd (03:17)
12. Proteus Requests/Light On/Your Phone is Out (08:24)
13. Visiting Hours/Probed and Put to Bed (03:24)
14. The Gaz Chamber/Rape of the Earth/How?/Hypnosis/Chimes (08:23)
15. Pre-Trip/Big Wind/Sperm/Spirograph/Tetra Waltz (07:18)
16. Last Voyage (02:35)
17. Closing Crawl (02:03)
18. End Credits (03:59)

[edit] Taglines

Never was a woman violated so profanely... Never was a woman subjected to inhuman love like this... Never was a woman prepared for a more perverse destiny...

Julie Christie carries the "Demon Seed" Fear for Her.

[edit] Alternate titles

• Proteus Generation

01-25-2008, 05:51 AM,
I haven't read through that chunk yet Weyland..but I am looking foward to it. many thanks.

wonder if the UK "SKYNET" satellite that went into orbit last year(?) is somehow connected in there :o

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diebold voting machines can be hacked by remote control yeti 0 1,045 09-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Last Post: yeti
  Israel as the US Military Technology Transfer Conduit to China and Russia since the 1990s FastTadpole 2 3,118 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Drone strikes herald 'Terminator-like reality', MoD warns TriWooOx 1 1,134 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Constantly updated list scientific studies regarding the medicinal use of hemp MasterChiefa 0 1,150 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Last Post: MasterChiefa
  Israel paves the way for killing by remote control TriWooOx 0 847 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Typing merely by thinking - plugless brainjack kit invented h3rm35 0 752 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Japan Eyes Solar Power Station in Space --- 0 946 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Last Post: ---
  Quantum Theory May Explain Wishful Thinking --- 3 1,334 05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Last Post: rsol
  Why it's Hard to Make Machines Think Original Thoughts --- 8 2,398 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Last Post: JazzRoc
  Machines Edge Closer To Imitating Human Communication --- 0 910 11-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Last Post: ---