Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HR875 S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food - UPDATE: Stealth Passage via CR Addendum
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM,
HR875 S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food - UPDATE: Stealth Passage via CR Addendum
Thursday, March 5, 2009
shepardpolitics.blogspot.com
HR 875 Would Essentially Outlaw Family Farms In The United States

I get a lot of e-mails each day and one today (hi Cheryl!) pointed my attention to HR 875, a bill introduced into the 111th Congress. SO, I went and did something that members of Congress rarely do and actually read the bill.More accurately, I glanced through it which is still more than they ever do. It was introduced by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT 3rd) and, as of this writing, has around 36 co-sponsors including my Congressman, Andre Carson (D-IN 7th). It immediately strikes me as being terribly bad legislation.

Under a heading described as protecting the public health and ensuring the safety of food it creates a "Food Safety Administration" within Health and Human Services. Oddly, it doesn't just add regulations to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) which is also under HHS. And don't we have the USDA as well? The bill applies to all manner of "Food Establishments" and "Food Production Facilities" (note the following excerpt).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

The bill would appear to even cover fishing boats and your downtown hot dog street vendors. In fact, the bill probably would also apply to your family garden since no exemption is apparent.

What it essentially does is place a tremendous regulatory burden on all of these organizations and individuals by requiring them to have "food safety plans", consider all relevant hazards [note: I wish Congress would consider all "relevant hazards" or unintended consequences of everything THEY did], testing, sample keeping and to maintain all kinds of records. The bill also allows the government to dictate all manner of standards related to fertilizer use, nutrients, packaging, temperature controls and other items.

This massive bloat in government regulation (and taxpayer expense to support it) would add additional cost and headache to every farm, fishing boat, restaurant, slaughterhouse, processing plant, CO-OP and anyone else associated with growing, storing or processing food. The bill authorizes fines of up to $1,000,000 (one million) dollars for "each act" and for "each day" of a violation.

We'll skip over the concern over how important food production and distribution, largely recession proof, could be if our economy continues to decline and inflation takes hold and just address this on the apparent lunacy that it is. As those familiar with history know, large dominant corporations often will use government to demand industry regulations that force the small competitor out of business or introduce barriers to entry that prevent new companies from starting up to compete. In the early part of the 20th century a tremendous amount of regulation was written by the industries themselves to be enacted into law.

In this case, I think this bill could do tremendous harm to family farms or independent food operators. Only massive companies have the ability to meet these regulations and imagine the legal expenses that could be incurred to defend oneself? Never forget, the government has near unlimited resources where you might have to cough up $200 to $500 an hour for a good attorney to defend yourself, your farm, boat, truck, restaurant, orchard, vineyard or hot dog stand. And what about the increased cost of food associated with the cost of compliance, it's not unreasonable to think that many places would have to hire staff or outside assistance just to comply with the law.

We have an excellent history in the United States of safe food, but as Obama's Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel suggested recently, "You should never want a serious crisis to go to waste." He spoke those words relative to looking for opportunities to do things that people would not otherwise accept without some crisis. We should be very careful not to let the very rare instance of something like the recent peanut problem be used as such a "crisis". There is no impetus to point the bureaucrats of government and the guns they control, their ability to not only deprive someone of life or freedom but to destroy whole families, careers and reputations, at everyone in the country who might be involved in ensuring we have stuff to eat.

We're doing just fine without this legislation.

http://shepardpolitics.blogspot.com/2009/0...law-family.html
03-07-2009, 06:19 AM,
I think they are about to push it until people have enough. They are always attacking family farms. Well, just put me on another list, especially this one. This year we are adding another garden in which I will grow my own tobacco. I guess they can come after my farm, my guns and food stock all at once. Thing is, it takes 2 votes. 1 to decide to get it. 2nd is who the first few will be to come.
03-17-2009, 04:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2009, 04:47 AM by hilly7.)
HR 875: A Bill That Would Regulate The Small Family Farm Out Of Business
Source: http://www.roguegovernment.com
By - Lee Rogers

It appears as if the Obama administration is seeking to pursue an agenda that will setup the federal food police. Using the popular formula of proposing phony solutions to problems that are either manufactured or otherwise, Obama has come out stating that we need more regulations to keep our food safe. With this in mind, it is interesting to see legislation entitled HR 875 or the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 which has been proposed in the U.S. House of Representatives. This bill uses language so broad and wide reaching that even home gardeners and organic farmers would be subject to the regulation of a new government bureaucracy. The bill appears to be aimed at destroying family farms through federal regulation so that large corporations like Monsanto can consolidate more control over food production in this country.

As defined in HR 875, the bill would establish an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services to be known as the Food Safety Administration. This new agency would regulate food safety and be given draconian police powers and regulatory authority.

Section 3 of the bill defines what type of establishments would be subject to regulations in this bill. It defines a food production facility as the following.

The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

It defines a food establishment as the following.
The term ‘food establishment’ means a slaughterhouse (except those regulated under the Federal Meat Inspection Act or the Poultry Products Inspection Act), factory, warehouse, or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients.

These terms and others defined in the definitions section of the bill are so broadly defined that it would potentially subject home gardeners and organic farmers to many unnecessary government regulations under the guise of keeping the food supply safe.

Below are just some of lowlights in this bill which describe draconian unconstitutional regulations that food producers and food establishments would be subjected too.

Section 202 authorizes the Food Safety Administration to setup a registration system in which any food establishment or foreign food establishment engaged in manufacturing, processing or holding food for consumption shall be forced to register with the agency.

Section 206 of the bill would actually allow this new Food Safety Administration to visit and inspect food production facilities in the United States and in foreign countries to determine if they are operating in compliance with the requirements of the food safety law. It also gives them the authority to conduct monitoring and surveillance of animals, plants, products or the environment and even inspect the records of food production facilities without a warrant issued from a court. This section completely ignores the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution.

Section 207 of the bill allows the Food Safety Administration to collaborate with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to establish food-borne illness surveillance systems. It also authorizes the agency to integrate state and local agencies as fully as possible into national food safety efforts by forcing them to enforce federal food safety regulations. This section completely ignores the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution.

Section 302 of the bill would actually setup a public education and advisory system on food safety. In other words, the language in this section would authorize the establishment of a propaganda department within the Food Safety Administration that will tell the public why the Food Safety Administration and their regulations are so wonderful and great.

Section 401 lists several prohibited acts including the following listed below and many others.

Delivering or receiving food in interstate commerce that is adulterated, misbranded or otherwise unsafe.

For a food establishment to operate without a valid registration.

For a food establishment or food production facility to refuse access for inspection by the Food Safety Administration.

Section 402 gives the Food Safety Administration the authority to actually seize food that they believe is unsafe, misbranded or otherwise fails to meet the requirements of food safety law.

Section 405 states that any person that commits an act that violates the food safety law including a regulation or order issued under food safety law may be assessed a civil penalty at minimum of $1,000,000 for each act.

The bill is extremely long so it would take far too long to analyze every single facet of it but the aforementioned low lights make it clear that this bill will impose entirely unnecessary regulations on food producers. It is clear, that the bill is being proposed not for the purposes of food safety, but to regulate small family farms out of business. As stated before, the vague language used in the bill to describe who would be subject to the regulation of this proposed Food Safety Administration is so encompassing that it could be interpreted by the criminal judicial system to include almost anyone growing food.

This bill clearly favors big food manufacturers like Monsanto. Why should small family farms be forced to register with the federal government, be subjected to unconstitutional searches and seizures under the guise of food safety? Why should they be forced to pay $1,000,000 in fines for each law or regulatory violation? It is entirely insane especially when you consider that Monsanto’s GMO foods are undoubtedly far more dangerous than anything coming from a small family farm. Not to mention, most farmers would not be able to follow every regulatory requirement by the book nor would they be able to afford the fines imposed on them if they were found in violation of the regulations or law.

With Barack Obama now talking about how the government needs to do more about food safety, it seems clear that this bill will be pushed forward. A similar bill has been proposed in the Senate called S 425 or the Food Safety and Tracking Improvement Act which appears to contain proposals much like those found in HR 875. There’s little doubt that both bills are being pushed by the big food manufacturers so that they can centralize control over the entire farming industry in the United States. After all, who is the Food Safety Administration going to hire? Considering the format of this bill and who would benefit from it, it seems clear that they will hire people who have formally or are currently working for the big food producers. This is just yet another case of the tyrannical fascist U.S. government at work. Anyone who co-sponsors this bill, supports or votes for this bill should be tarred and feathered and thrown out of office.

http://www.roguegovernment.com/HR_875%3A_A.../13/13/Y/M.html

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-425
03-18-2009, 05:37 PM,
:angry021:

I'm going to post my findings on this topic in this thread also.

Lose your property for growing food?
Big Brother legislation could mean prosecution, fines up to $1 million

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=...mp;pageId=92002

03-18-2009, 11:20 PM,
Some other articles to use as a way of connecting dots...

Going Backwards: Clinton Administration Appoints A Former Monsanto Corp. Lobbyist To Represent US Consumers On Genetically Engineered Food Issues
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines/072600-03.htm

Monsanto and Hillary Clinton's redemptive first act as Secretary of State
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Monsanto-...090209-290.html

Another Monsanto Fox Guarding the Henhouse in Obama's Transition Team: rBGH Booster Michael Taylor
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15710.cfm

Six Reasons Why Obama Appointing Monsanto's Buddy, Former Iowa Governor Vilsack, for USDA Head Would be a Terrible Idea
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15573.cfm

And hey, would ya just look at that! The new USDA - Secretary of Agriculture! :P
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_...ios_vilsack.xml
[Image: 250px-Tom_Vilsack,_official_USDA_photo_portrait.jpg]

On Hillary and Bill Clinton and Monsanto
http://pittsburgh.indymedia.org/news/2008/03/29083.php
&its just like.. doood ya get the best barrels ever dood..
its just like.. ya pull in and ya just get spit right out of em...
ya just drop in n just smack the lip.. whabap.. drop down..
zibbaaaahhhahahah..
n then after that.. ya drop in.. ride the barrel..
and get pitted.. sooo pitted like that&
- surfer dood

Northern Alberta Surface Water Study
check it out: www.nasws.ca
03-19-2009, 02:56 AM,
Hey You ! You there, yes you - is that government approved food your eating ?

He who controls the food - makes the rules.

Hopefully it won't pass - I'll cross my fingers;)

Of course we have things like spinach and peanuts to help them, - my how they like to scare us.
While it is unfortunate that some people die from food poisoning - most - do not.
--melamine might kill you tho
this is mos def a Landmine Legislation
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
03-19-2009, 04:35 AM,
Between this and the gun bill, we will be pretty dependant upon them. Seen another bill about making tobacco illegial to grow. I have about 500-600 plants started and plan to grow about 60-100 myself. Have a few neighbors that want some too. Other than bad words, my only other habit is smoking and I'll be damned if they will tell me I can't do either. Today we put out 7 more fruit trees and have another 7 spotted. This may just get real ugly real fast.
03-20-2009, 03:12 AM,
[Image: monsanto0.jpg]
Monsanto’s dream bill, HR 875
Linn Cohen-Cole
March 11, 2009

To begin reversing GM contamination will require ending the power biotech companies such as Monsanto exert over our government and through that, over our food.

HR 875, was introduced by Rosa DeLauro whose husband Stanley Greenburg works for Monsanto.

The bill is monstrous on level after level - the power it would give to Monsanto, the criminalization of seed banking, the prison terms and confiscatory fines for farmers, the 24 hours GPS tracking of their animals, the easements on their property to allow for warrantless government entry, the stripping away of their property rights, the imposition by the filthy, greedy industrial side of anti-farming international “industrial” standards to independent farms - the only part of our food system that still works, the planned elimination of farmers through all these means.

The corporations want the land, they want more intensive industrialization, they want the end of normal animals so they can substitute patented genetically engineered ones they own, they want the end of normal seeds and thus of seed banking by farmers or individuals. They want control over all seeds, animals, water, and land.

Our farmers are good stewards. That is who is threatened by Rosa DeLauro’s bill (and because of that, we all are). At a time in this country when wise stewardship and the production of anything real - especially good food - is what is most needed, it is our best stewards whom Rosa DeLauro threatens, under the cruelly false name of “food safety.”

And now Monsanto wants its own employee, Michael Taylor - the man who forced genetically engineered rBGH on us (unlabeled so us, unaware) when the Clintons placed him over “food safety” in the 90s - back in government, this time to act with massive police power as a “food safety tsar” from inside the White House. HR 875 would give him immense power over what is done on every single farm in the country and massive police state power to wield over farmers and punishments to break them at will.

The following quotes show Monsanto and its biotech ilk are not “stewards” at all. Their inhuman focus on profit has led to inhuman, insane, sickening products that require intense corruption of democracy and science institutes and media, to foist them on country after country which don’t want them.

It is our farmers who stand between us and this outrage which masquerades as science, as food, as normal business, as government. And it is or farmers who need not only protecting and but actual freeing from government intrusion, control and harm.

Vegetarians and vegans do not identify with farmers who raise animals but what is at stake here is critical for all of us. ”First they came for the Jews” is an apt reminder of what matters in standing with each other because the overwhelming bureaucratic burdens, the recording over every single thing done on a farm, the warrantless inspections, the end of farmers markets, the criminalization of seed banking, the ten years in prison for stepping out of line in any way, will next be applied not to animals breaking out of fence onto a neighbors’ farm, but for such things as not spraying pesticides on an organic farm to eradicate earthworms (now listed as an invasive species) because the government’s “food safety tsar” has deemed it necessary. It is totalitarian control (and HR 875 epitomizes it) which we stand against, and now it is aimed with ferocity at farmers with animals. Stopping it now keeps all farmers safe.

http://kelliasworld.wordpress.com/2009/03/...am-bill-hr-875/

hr2 with Rense w/ Linn Cohen-Cole
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4783565/Je....03.18-chakra71
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM,
I can't help but think that this is some sort of ploy to confuse the populace and bring more misunderstanding to those who have no clue as to what is going on up there...

Foodies Celebrate White House Veggie Garden
Obama's Shovel-Ready Project Nurtures the Sustainable Food Movement Amid Some Criticism

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7110660&page=1
&its just like.. doood ya get the best barrels ever dood..
its just like.. ya pull in and ya just get spit right out of em...
ya just drop in n just smack the lip.. whabap.. drop down..
zibbaaaahhhahahah..
n then after that.. ya drop in.. ride the barrel..
and get pitted.. sooo pitted like that&
- surfer dood

Northern Alberta Surface Water Study
check it out: www.nasws.ca
05-20-2010, 04:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 05:59 AM by FastTadpole.)
Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food - UPDATE: Stealth Passage via CR Addendum
Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food

By Steve Green
S 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to our food what the bailout was to our economy, only we can live without money.
“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” ~Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower
It is similar to what India faced with imposition of the salt tax during British rule, only S 510 extends control over all food in the US, violating the fundamental human right to food.
Monsanto says it has no interest in the bill and would not benefit from it, but Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to have designed it and is waiting as an appointed Food Czar to the FDA (a position unapproved by Congress) to administer the agency it would create — without judicial review — if it passes. S 510 would give Monsanto unlimited power over all US seed, food supplements, food and farming.
History
In the 1990s, Bill Clinton introduced HACCP (Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points) purportedly to deal with contamination in the meat industry. Clinton’s HACCP delighted the offending corporate (World Trade Organization “WTO”) meat packers since it allowed them to inspect themselves, eliminated thousands of local food processors (with no history of contamination), and centralized meat into their control. Monsanto promoted HACCP.
In 2008, Hillary Clinton, urged a powerful centralized food safety agency as part of her campaign for president. Her advisor was Mark Penn, CEO of Burson Marsteller*, a giant PR firm representing Monsanto. Clinton lost, but Clinton friends such as Rosa DeLauro, whose husband’s firm lists Monsanto as a progressive client and globalization as an area of expertise, introduced early versions of S 510.
S 510 fails on moral, social, economic, political, constitutional, and human survival grounds.
1. It puts all US food and all US farms under Homeland Security and the Department of Defense, in the event of contamination or an ill-defined emergency. It resembles the Kissinger Plan.
2. It would end US sovereignty over its own food supply by insisting on compliance with the WTO, thus threatening national security. It would end the Uruguay Round Agreement Act of 1994, which put US sovereignty and US law under perfect protection. Instead, S 510 says:
COMPLIANCE WITH INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS.
Nothing in this Act (or an amendment made by this Act) shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.
3. It would allow the government, under Maritime Law, to define the introduction of any food into commerce (even direct sales between individuals) as smuggling into “the United States.” Since under that law, the US is a corporate entity and not a location, “entry of food into the US” covers food produced anywhere within the land mass of this country and “entering into” it by virtue of being produced.
4. It imposes Codex Alimentarius on the US, a global system of control over food. It allows the United Nations (UN), World Health Organization (WHO), UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the WTO to take control of every food on earth and remove access to natural food supplements. Its bizarre history and its expected impact in limiting access to adequate nutrition (while mandating GM food, GM animals, pesticides, hormones, irradiation of food, etc.) threatens all safe and organic food and health itself, since the world knows now it needs vitamins to survive, not just to treat illnesses.

5. It would remove the right to clean, store and thus own seed in the US, putting control of seeds in the hands of Monsanto and other multinationals, threatening US security. See Seeds – How to criminalize them, for more details.
6. It includes NAIS, an animal traceability program that threatens all small farmers and ranchers raising animals. The UN is participating through the WHO, FAO, WTO, and World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) in allowing mass slaughter of even heritage breeds of animals and without proof of disease. Biodiversity in farm animals is being wiped out to substitute genetically engineered animals on which corporations hold patents. Animal diseases can be falsely declared. S 510 includes the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), despite its corrupt involvement in the H1N1 scandal, which is now said to have been concocted by the corporations.
7. It extends a failed and destructive HACCP to all food, thus threatening to do to all local food production and farming what HACCP did to meat production – put it in corporate hands and worsen food safety.
8. It deconstructs what is left of the American economy. It takes agriculture and food, which are the cornerstone of all economies, out of the hands of the citizenry, and puts them under the total control of multinational corporations influencing the UN, WHO, FAO and WTO, with HHS, and CDC, acting as agents, with Homeland Security as the enforcer. The chance to rebuild the economy based on farming, ranching, gardens, food production, natural health, and all the jobs, tools and connected occupations would be eliminated.
9. It would allow the government to mandate antibiotics, hormones, slaughterhouse waste, pesticides and GMOs. This would industrialize every farm in the US, eliminate local organic farming, greatly increase global warming from increased use of oil-based products and long-distance delivery of foods, and make food even more unsafe. The five items listed — the Five Pillars of Food Safety — are precisely the items in the food supply which are the primary source of its danger.
10. It uses food crimes as the entry into police state power and control. The bill postpones defining all the regulations to be imposed; postpones defining crimes to be punished, postpones defining penalties to be applied. It removes fundamental constitutional protections from all citizens in the country, making them subject to a corporate tribunal with unlimited power and penalties, and without judicial review. It is (similar to C-6 in Canada) the end of Rule of Law in the US.
For further information, watch these videos:
Food Laws – Forcing people to globalize
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-P4rL2IWc
State Imposed Violence … to snatch resources of ordinary people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onw_PkVvpts&feature=related
Corporate Rule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PwqUQ_HIlg&feature=related
Reclaiming Economies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoJHG-er7A&feature=related
05-20-2010, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2010, 05:11 AM by h3rm35.)
RE: Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food
when I see post like this, I always feel the need to post a source of the entire text of the proposed legislation. For the exact same reasons, more than a year ago, and less than two, I did the same thing on another forum for a bill in the house of representatives... this is not the second bill to try to pull off this kind of BS, but one of a multitude... It seems as though agribusiness isn't going to stop trying to push its weight on legislators until something that removes the ability of the natural person to create and/or distribute food. If for any reason, we lose the right to grow and distribute food, or lose access to clean fresh water to the hands of the soulless corporations, we lose everything. No movement in the markets will matter anymore. No amount of public outrage, rioting, or revolutionary thinking can sustain us once we lose the right to sustenance. No oil spill will threaten us more than this kind of legislation. No kind of banking regulation is more important. There won't need to be "death panels" once our ability to produce and distribute food is compromised.

I may be going off half-cocked here, as I haven't actually read the bill yet, but I promise to do so, and provide my own interpretations as I did not so long ago w/ HR 875.

here's some history on HR 875, which I worked on for about a week and forwarded the results to INFRA (the Independent Natural Food Retailer's Assoc.) and the OCA (Organic Consumer's Assoc.)

It never went anywhere in congress. Why? I'm not sure... the pyres were stacked for the witch hunt into food safety, and things with (M)Obama focusing on food safety and the greenwashing of the organic garden at the WH were in full effect...

maybe the monsanto man in charge of the process hadn't been appointed yet...

regardless, this bill seems like one that would work better in the the corporately ensconced ideologues in the Senate than it did in the House... Those with less accountability than the pitiful "people's" representatives that have to deal with elections every other year. It seems (once again, I haven't yet read the bill,) that this is simply a re-incarnation of the same maneuvering.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
05-20-2010, 09:54 AM,
RE: Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food
In times like this, we must remember that we cannot loose the 'right' to grow food. I think that the word 'inalienable' is appropriate. Now, should the individuals who wish to enforce this restriction of this most fundamental entitlement find a way to actually prevent people from growing food (as in not just the means, but if I live in a society that complies with this sort of thing) I must say, I wouldn't stick around long. (beta blocker cocktail anyone?)
05-21-2010, 03:50 AM,
They continue to try and push this through and while the exact bills that directly attack growing one's own food gets shot down, others have succeeded. Fractions of this has passed, buried into other bills that were really unrelated except for long stretches like in the health care reform.

Sadly though I see them getting their way on this and all water rights. Already here in TN it is actually illegal for one to collect rain water with a water license, talk about weird. If they pass one of the bills (can't remember which one), they would actually own the water running through my creeks here. That would equate to guess what... filling in the creeks. Icon_biggrin People will probably just let this slide as they do everything and dream that it will get voted out with the next president or next party to take power.
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2010, 10:00 PM by Frozin.)
I don't think this bill has anything to do with private gardens.
CFR 21 1.227 (Definitions)
(2)
The private residence of an individual is not a facility

The entire section reads

(2) Facility means any establishment, structure, or structures under one ownership at one general physical location, or, in the case of a mobile facility, traveling to multiple locations, that manufactures/processes, packs, or holds food for consumption in the United States. Transport vehicles are not facilities if they hold food only in the usual course of business as carriers. A facility may consist of one or more contiguous structures, and a single building may house more than one distinct facility if the facilities are under separate ownership. The private residence of an individual is not a facility. Nonbottled water drinking water collection and distribution establishments and their structures are not facilities.

I didn't see anything within this bill that changed the definition of a Facility. I might of missed something, if anyone can show me where exactly it may reference that it will require private residences to register, or the language that purports to a private residence with a vegetable garden needing to register would be appreciated, because so far I just don't see it.

Or is this more or else about the small farms and small business that would be effected by such a bill?
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2010, 11:58 PM by h3rm35.)
(05-23-2010, 09:58 PM)Frozin Wrote: I don't think this bill has anything to do with private gardens.
CFR 21 1.227 (Definitions)
(2)
The private residence of an individual is not a facility

The entire section reads

(2) Facility means any establishment, structure, or structures under one ownership at one general physical location, or, in the case of a mobile facility, traveling to multiple locations, that manufactures/processes, packs, or holds food for consumption in the United States. Transport vehicles are not facilities if they hold food only in the usual course of business as carriers. A facility may consist of one or more contiguous structures, and a single building may house more than one distinct facility if the facilities are under separate ownership. The private residence of an individual is not a facility. Nonbottled water drinking water collection and distribution establishments and their structures are not facilities.

I didn't see anything within this bill that changed the definition of a Facility. I might of missed something, if anyone can show me where exactly it may reference that it will require private residences to register, or the language that purports to a private residence with a vegetable garden needing to register would be appreciated, because so far I just don't see it.

Or is this more or else about the small farms and small business that would be effected by such a bill?

Picking this piece of legislation apart will be a lot more difficult than HR 875 was, as this is basically a series of amendments to existing legislation that dictates how the FDA runs, rather than replacing the FDA with another agency (also called by the Acronym "FDA") and starting over pretty much from scratch. Cutting through this bullshit requires examining the exact clauses and stipulations of other laws, then filling in the words that this one uses, and then determining exactly what those pieces of legislation say once you've played their infuriating game of legislative mad-libs. They didn't make it easy.

In my research into HR 875, there was one line, sandwiched in between a bunch of other, seemingly innocuous lines, that allowed it to be applied to "recreational production." As yet, I haven't been able to find a line that says that, but in a case like this, it could simply be changing the word "is" to "isn't," and it could be lodged somewhere in a seemingly unrelated clause. It seems intentionally obfuscated, and more so than DeLauro's bill in the house, which was bad enough.

The wording that I've been able to hash through thus far seems to take similar steps to the issue of food "safety", and many of the things that worried me before are still in there - but the GLARING, unchecked authority to basically determine what would actually be able to be done only AFTER the bill's passage, and the total redefinition of the FDA, seem not to be, or at least I haven't figured them out yet.

All in all, I'm pretty sure of the fact that this pretty much a power grab by industrialized agriculture, much in the same way that 875 was, and the fact that Monsanto says they're "not interested" in it pretty much means that they're for it. They would be screaming bloody murder and launching fleets of lobbyists otherwise.

If Monsanto & company are for it (or as I suspect, actually drafted it in the first place,) then it cannot be good for the home gardener or small farmer. The fact that food safety legislation is being discussed at all means that Agro has an interest, and that means they'll do everything to ensure that their model of patenting food continues growing exponentially. When you throw roadblocks into food production focused on food safety above and beyond what's already there, you open opportunities where foods can only be considered safe when they've been treated or modified in some way(example - pasteurization), which is the cornerstone to Big Agro's business. If they weren't behind it, the legislation would never have even been considered.

All it would have to do in order to make Big Agro happy would be to say that certain products are (i.e.) antibiotic-resistant, and therefore only certain products could be allowed, creating a monopoly for those companies with the technology to create them. Remember, the insidiousness behind Codex Alimentarius is not that it outlaws certain products or practices, it actually inverts our current code with one that is Napoleonic, that is, anything not specifically permitted is outlawed. So, if a law or a new system is instituted in which one major business sector can claim a monopoly, then all other producers/manufacturers will not be able to function and create alternatives, thus easily creating a situation where all alternatives that might arise are codified out of existence due to a lack of representation. Scary shit.
ok, so I'm absolutely sure thatI hate this bill now - I did a search for "Codex Alimentarius, S510" and the very first thing that popped was from SUPPORTERS of Codex, saying that they've been guaranteed a Managers Amendment at the very end of the senate's negotiation process that will ASSURE that the bill does not get in the way of CODEX or DSHEA...

This is going to go through without some SERIOUS AND VOCAL OPPOSITION!!!!!
http://codexfund.com/
Quote:Continuing to Monitor the Food Safety Bill, S510
Late in 2009, Senators Hatch and Harkin helped us achieve our initial goal of obtaining assurance that the call to ask FDA to review Codex standards in the Food Safety bill, S510, did not signal any intention to move in a different direction on DSHEA or give Codex jurisdiction in that area. This was a major victory for us to have these statements on record.

There will be a 'manager's amendment' included with the bill. This final amendment being developed and drafted to the food safety bill is called a Manager's Amendment, which is a package of numerous individual amendments agreed to by both sides in advance. The managers are the majority and the minority member who manage the debate on a bill for their side. A manager's amendment is extremely important in that it is agreed upon and will be presented when the bill goes to the floor for a vote. This is tentatively scheduled for late April or May. While Senator Harkin's are in charge of the Amendment and have given assurances nothing negative will be inserted, we are concerned that Senator McCain will attempt to include some of his damaging language from S3002 into the manager's amendment. We are staying in touch with the key Senate staff to be in the loop on what is happening with the manager's amendment, to insure nothing will be inserted that will harm DSHEA.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) FastTadpole 37 12,696 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Herschel38
  Gun Buyback Illegal now in Colorado! shortwave 0 807 07-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Last Post: shortwave
  Another IP issue threatens an even more fundamental part of our daily lives: our food h3rm35 0 933 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  EU food-supplement clampdown overrides consumer choice hilly7 2 2,016 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Last Post: snecker
  ACS:Law loses illegal file-sharing cases TriWooOx 2 1,356 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Last Post: rsol
  Mumia Abu Jamal update h3rm35 0 749 11-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Cap and Trade 101 FastTadpole 12 4,267 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Go to Kmart & try to buy something non food without your ID NickHedge 4 2,238 07-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Last Post: NickHedge
Question Just Exactly What Is An "Illegal Alien"? NickHedge 0 958 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Last Post: NickHedge
  US Makes it Easier for China to Get Missile Technology, Then Sells Stockpile to Taiwan FastTadpole 1 1,395 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole