Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go to Kmart & try to buy something non food without your ID
07-04-2010, 10:51 PM,
Go to Kmart & try to buy something non food without your ID
This weekend is just getting weirder and weirder.

I have just gotten back from Kmart and you won't believe what just happened. I went in to buy a can of spray paint to complete a project at work and GOT CARDED!!!! The amazon woman that was the cashier asked for my license and told me that because of the NEW LAW I can no longer buy the following items without my ID:

Any paint
Lighters
Fireworks
Lighter Fluid
Calamine Lotion
Solvents
Cough Syrups
Any smoking materials OR paraphanelia such as: pipe cleaners, cigarette holders, etc

This was just what she could rattle off the top of her head at the moment. Had I not had my ID she would not have sold me the spray paint. What the hell is that shit? Spray paint? Jeez.

I asked her when they were going to start in on food. Of course I got the standard drone answer: "I'm just doing my job, sir". I got reminded by the man behind me that the more noise I make the worse it will be for me. I shut up at that point and thought about what I was saying. I realized I needed to react less and go do something to help myself. Sounding off to the system doesn't get that accomplished.

What this cashier did (that the witch at the grocery store didn't do) was she keyed in something off my license. I asked her if she was typing in the license number and she said "no" but I didn't believe her.

We talk about this shit happening but now it is. The time is closer than we think. Is anyone else experiencing this shit?
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

07-04-2010, 11:49 PM,
RE: Go to Kmart & try to buy something non food without your ID
nope. It sounds pretty shitty though. I guess around here (CA) with all the illegals they figure they'd lose a significant amount of business. Sure am happy I moved out of Indiana in 2k9. Are they a REAL ID state yet?
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
07-05-2010, 02:08 AM,
Well, glad you asked that question H3rm35. There are just some things that I have not kept up with for one reason or another and the whole Real ID thing totally went unnoticed with me. I just don't have the time to catch it all.

With those of us who work on the road, we don't really pay attention to the state we are in since we are not residents of that state and don't really care. But these days it isn't that way anymore. Now we are getting caught in the same situation that regular residents are being caught in.

Like I said, I never paid much attention to the REAL ID thing. Until you asked this question. I called a buddy that I work with that lives here and talked to him. He told me that we definitely live in a REAL ID state and put me onto a web page that explained it in detail.

Here's the lowdown on where Indiana stands on Read ID:

Indiana Takes a Leap for Real ID

Although all states got a Real ID compliance extension that would be good until December 2009, not every state intends to comply. Some states simply filed for extensions to prevent their citizens from suffering inconveniences. If there had been any states without extensions, their citizens would have been unable to use their licenses for official purposes which include boarding commercial planes and entering federal buildings. These citizens would have had to undergo stricter airport checks before being allowed in planes.

The severe penalties of not meeting Real ID milestones and not filing for an extension more than justifies the move of many opposing states to file for extensions. For their legislators, being granted an extension does not guarantee future full compliance. In fact, some of these states with extensions have already enacted laws that would bar future participation in Real ID implementation. These binding laws came after state legislators reviewed the Real ID Act and its rules and did not agree on the advisability of implementation on their states.

It is an entirely different story for Indiana. The state apparently had no intention of using its extension for convenience or evaluation purposes only. According to a statement released early this year by its Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Indiana has every intention to work towards full Real ID compliance. This decision has earned the ire of many anti Real ID advocates.

It is crucial to understand though that Indiana decided to comply for seemingly good reasons. The state is reportedly intent on improving their licensing system and standards whether or not there is a Real ID law that would require it. In other words, enhancing its driver’s license issuance system had been in the state’s agenda even before Real ID was passed. It just so happened that a number of Real ID Act provisions correspond to what Indiana officials would like to implement.

So far, Indiana already has standards that are compliant with some Real ID requirements. Indiana for example requires the presentation of proof of identity, state residency and Social Security Number. For this purpose, applicants are required to bring one primary document and one secondary document as proof of identity and further documents to prove residency and SSN. These are basic minimum standards required by the Real ID Act.

Indiana also requires new driver’s license applicants to surrender other valid state licenses upon application. This conforms to the Real ID requirement of ensuring that applicants hold only one driver’s license.

Indiana’s attempts at complying with the Real ID Act have apparently not slowed down. In November of this month, the state awarded Digimarc a contract that would help Indiana come up with a system that would be compliant with the Real ID Act provisions. State residents therefore can only hope for more changes and improvements in Indiana’s licensing system. There are a number of standards that Digimarc hopes to introduce.

* Foremost among new card features will be machine readable digital watermarking. This feature is intended to increase the physical security of cards and ensure that counterfeiting can be prevented. The machine readable zone can also allow quicker checks across states to determine a license or ID card’s authenticity.

* Digimarc also intends to introduce the use of a secure system that would allow authorized licensing personnel to keep strict tabs on ID card production materials. This will prevent the unauthorized access or use of card materials for illegal means.

* State of the art camera towers and workstations will be used for the purpose of complying with real ID requirements. The Real ID Act requires facial image capture, facial image comparison, document capture and document storage. New technology introduced by Digimarc will supposedly ensure that Indiana will meet all these requirements.

* Digimarc also mentioned that Indiana will use printing systems that can be operated over the counter. This is intended to speed up the application and licensing process.

These are only some of the compliant measures that Indiana has adopted or will adopt in the near future. The state’s path to compliance however has not been entirely smooth. It was early this year that it was discovered that thousands of previous license holders may suffer from invalidated licenses due to problems with their records and identity documents. In February 2008, the number of driver’s license holders whose license would have to be invalidated was pegged at 91,000. Many more state citizens however have some other document-related problem.

People’s problems with their documents and the corresponding penalty for being unable to present valid documents is one of the reasons why critics are now slamming state officials over Real ID. The American Civil Liberties Union was said to have made moves to sue the state over the issue of license invalidation of many Indiana residents.

Of course, critics have more than just document problems to complain over. Even if nearly everyone in Indiana had the right documents for driver’s license application, critics would still largely object to the Real ID Act. One major point of objection is privacy issues. Critics believe that by agreeing to comply with the Real ID Act, Indiana would be endangering the private information of its citizens. Linked databases for example may expose Indiana’s current secure licensing system to the weaknesses of other state systems. This may lead to greater occurrences of identity theft or misuse of personal information.

Another major concern for critics is the cost of implementation. Many states have already released cost estimates reaching well over millions of dollars. Despite the presence of grant funding, some states have predicted that grants alone will not be sufficient and that residents may eventually have to pay higher license fees to cover the cost of implementation. The fact that Indiana is not complaining may mean that it may have enough money to comply. There is no telling though whether fees will remain as they are for the duration that the state implements Real ID requirements. At present, Indiana licenses already cost $19.

Despite loud opposition voices, Indiana seems bent on seeing Real ID through. Even so, it is still too soon to say that state officials will never change their minds. Indiana citizens will just have to see what will happen next year.

My buddy told me that when he goes to the airport to go to another station to help with repairs the guys at the airport will use a "blue laser" on his license and they can see information that is not readily seen with the eye. He also mentioned that his license info went straight to DHS and that there are two additional layers of film on his license. All sorts of crazy stuff.

This is a state that I know I would never want to live in permanently. Too F'ed up.

If anyone wants to check their state to see if it is a Real ID or not here is the link. Just click your state to see what it says.

Link: http://www.realidstates.com/real-id-indiana/
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

07-05-2010, 02:34 AM,
This is an extension of the thread.

How Old Do You Really Have to Be to Buy Beer?
http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=33692

My feelings on K-Mart's parctices echo my thoughts on the Know Your Customer (KYC) data collection project. This is fed into the same machines that eat everything.

Great film released last year that goes into detail on this.

One Mainframe To Rule Them All
http://concen.org/tracker/torrents-details.php?id=11021
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
07-05-2010, 03:46 AM,
Yeah I thought about adding it onto the other thread and then I thought it would get lost in the shuffle and it is about two different things but yet the same subject. A judgment call in the end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another IP issue threatens an even more fundamental part of our daily lives: our food h3rm35 0 884 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  HR875 S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food - UPDATE: Stealth Passage via CR Addendum plasticfan 44 9,585 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  EU food-supplement clampdown overrides consumer choice hilly7 2 1,949 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Last Post: snecker
  HR 2749: Totalitarian Control of the Food Supply plasticfan 0 1,043 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Last Post: plasticfan
  HR 875 Could Result in Arrest, Imprisonment of CEOs of Processed Food Companies (if enforced) Easy Skanking 1 2,166 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Guest