MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
'Dishonest and irresponsible': Doctor who triggered MMR vaccine scare is struck off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Dishonest and irresponsible': Doctor who triggered MMR vaccine scare is struck off
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM,
Quote:The doctor at the centre of the MMR vaccine row was today struck off the medical register.

Andrew Wakefield was found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the General Medical Council (GMC) at a hearing in central London.

He acted in a way that was 'dishonest, misleading and irresponsible' while carrying out research into a possible link between the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine, bowel disease and autism, the GMC said.

He also 'abused his position of trust' and 'brought the medical profession into disrepute' in studies he carried out on children.

The GMC said there had been 'multiple separate instances of serious professional misconduct'.

The hearing described how Dr Wakefield took blood from his son's friends at a birthday party, paying the youngsters £5 each, before joking about it during a U.S. presentation in March 1999.

Panel chairman Dr Surendra Kumar said: 'In causing blood samples to be taken from children at a birthday party, he callously disregarded the pain and distress young children might suffer and behaved in a way which brought the profession into disrepute.'

The GMC said Dr Wakefield, 53, went against the interests of children in his care in conducting his research.

He ordered some youngsters to undergo unnecessary colonoscopies, lumbar punctures (spinal taps), barium meals, blood and urine tests and brain scans.

Yet most of the children did not meet the criteria for inclusion in the research, the GMC ruled.

Furthermore, Dr Wakefield and two other doctors involved in the research - professors John Walker-Smith and Simon Murch - did not have ethical approval to investigate them.

Professor Walker-Smith was also found guilty of serious professional misconduct and struck off the medical register. The GMC noted he is 73 and retired a decade ago.

Professor Murch was found not guilty of serious professional misconduct.

The GMC said Dr Wakefield's contract with the Royal Free 'was subject to a stipulation that he would not have any involvement in the clinical management of patients', yet this was breached.

Dr Kumar said: 'On five occasions he ordered investigations on children - when he had no paediatric qualifications - and in contravention of the limitations of his appointment.'

Dr Wakefield submitted an application for funding from the Legal Aid Board for research but failed to disclose that some of the costs would have been met by the NHS anyway.

Dr Kumar said: 'In all the circumstances and taking into account the standard which might be expected of a doctor practising in the same field of medicine in similar circumstances in or around 1996 to 1998, the panel concluded that Dr Wakefield's conduct not only collectively amounts to serious professional misconduct over a timeframe from 1996 to 1999 but also, considered individually, constitutes multiple separate instances of serious professional misconduct.'

In a statement, Dr Wakefield said: 'In reporting their findings the GMC panel sought to deny that the case against me and my colleagues is related to issues of MMR vaccine safety and specifically, the role of this vaccine in causing autism.

'This is not in fact the case. Efforts to discredit and silence me through the GMC process have provided a screen to shield the Government from exposure on the (Pluserix) MMR vaccine scandal.

But critics accused him of needlessly sparking a public panic which led to a prolonged slump in the number of children being vaccinated and a consequent rise in measles and mumps.

Dr Wakefield challenged his critics to 'talk about the science', and insisted the Government's decision to prevent parents opting for the single vaccine had been to blame for the rise in measles.

He said he had never opposed vaccination or claimed to have proof that MMR was linked to autism.

'I never made the claim at the time, nor do I still make the claim that MMR is a cause of autism,' he said.

'You are conflating the two things. You are conflating the link with autism with the overall review of the vaccine.'

Supporters said that his 'only crime' was to voice concerns about MMR which embarrassed the Department of Health.

Parents who believe their children's health was devastated after having the vaccine today came out in support of Dr Wakefield.

Allison Edwards, chairman of campaign group Cry Shame, which has supported him throughout the proceedings, said: 'I knew they would do this, they've had the intention of doing this for the past three years.

'This is to issue a warning to doctors not to dissent. No children were harmed in the clinical tests, they were trying to look at the problems and treat them, and the children improved.

'How do you get charged with doing your job?'

Mrs Edwards believes her son was left with neurological damage after having the MMR jab at the age of one.

He is now 13 and unable to speak, wash or dress himself.

A growing body of research appears to show no evidence of a link between MMR and autism.

The slump in take-up of vaccinations in the UK has resulted in outbreaks of both measles and mumps, from which at least one child has died.

In January, Dr Wakefield told the Daily Mail: 'I've never said don't vaccinate.

'I made it clear that children should continue to be protected using single vaccines.

'It was the Government's withdrawal of the option of the single-measles vaccine which has led to this problem.'

He added: 'What has happened to me has taught other scientists that it's safer never to rock the boat.

'Doctors are scared to speak for fear that what happened to me may happen to them. And that can't be good for science.'

Dr Wakefield hit the headlines in 1998 when he and several colleagues published research in The Lancet suggesting a possible link between the MMR jab, autism and bowel disease.

Although the study involved just 12 children, it generated a substantial amount of interest.

During a press conference on the research, he said: 'For the vast majority of children the MMR vaccine is fine, but I believe there are sufficient anxieties for a case to be made to administer the three vaccinations separately.

'I do not think that the long-term safety trials of MMR are sufficient for giving the three vaccines together.'

The Government sought to calm fears but uptake of the jab fell to 80 per cent over the following years. This was way below the recommended 95 per cent needed for immunity in the community.

In June 2006, the GMC announced that Dr Wakefield was under investigation for alleged misconduct.

Earlier this year, Dr Wakefield left his role at The Thoughtful House Centre for Children in Austin, Texas, which he founded.

The GMC hearing, which has lasted 217 days and heard from 36 witnesses, is the longest in the GMC's history.

It has reportedly cost in excess of £1 million.

Dr Wakefield was an honorary consultant in experimental gastroenterology at London's Royal Free Hospital at the time of his research.

Dr Wakefield's wife, Carmel, has always stood by him and spoke out in his defence. The couple have four children.

Dr Wakefield and Prof Walker-Smith have 28 days to appeal against the decision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280840/Andrew-Wakefield-Doctor-heart-MMR-vaccine-row-struck-off.html
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall. - Che Guevara

Resistance Films Youtube Channel

TriWooOx Podcast

Messages In This Thread
'Dishonest and irresponsible': Doctor who triggered MMR vaccine scare is struck off - TriWooOx - 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courts discreetly confirm MMR vaccine causes autism bristopen 0 248 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Last Post: bristopen
  Respectfully yours, Jagannath Chatterjee, Vaccine damage victim bristopen 0 941 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
  Desperate Times for Vaccine Risk Denialism bristopen 0 389 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
  US-Based Agency PATH Violated Law During HPV Vaccine Trials in India bristopen 0 401 09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
  HOT! CDC Admit Cancer Virus in Polio Vaccine 98 mil Americans! shortwave 13 2,519 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Last Post: shortwave
  Every child to get flu vaccine in bid to prevent epidemic drummer 1 407 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Watchdog
  H1N1 vaccine linked to potentially fatal nervous system condition: study TriWooOx 1 534 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Scientists Say Delay Breastfeeding to ‘Improve’ Vaccine Potency yeti 1 739 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Last Post: nwo2012
  Vitamin D is Better than ANY Vaccine TriWooOx 1 530 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Last Post: nwo2012
  HPV vaccine not only for girls, good for boys too rockingtheboat 7 1,627 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Last Post: p4r4