Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Remember this show/movie?
09-03-2010, 05:49 AM,
Anyone Remember this show/movie?
I'm desperate to find the title of this, I've googled way more than any person should for one flick, but I barely recall either a made for tv movie, or a real movie. In this fictional movie, the cold war happened, but it was kind of a "what if" it happened another way, and the u.s ended up having to drop a nuke over new york, to keep other nations from completely nuking us. Any help or idea of what this was would be appreciated. Looking forward to watching this again.
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM,
RE: Anyone Remember this show/movie?
Dr Strangelove or How I Learned To Srop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM,
The movie that I think you are remembering is the 1964 motion picture entitled FAIL-SAFE ...

... see this link and this link.

It came out about the same time as Stanley Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE.

DR. STRANGELOVE was "nuclear comedy" with actor Peter Sellers.

In FAIL-SAFE, actor Henry Fonda as the U.S. President, ultimately resorts to nuking the New York metropolitan area.

The movie, at the time, was considered a "political shocker", "thinking the unthinkable", and conveying "the unthinkable" on the "big screen" ...

... similar to other sixties movies "thinking the unthinkable" such as SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, and DR. STRANGELOVE.

Hope this helps, SacredSleep ! Smile
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM,
(09-03-2010, 07:49 PM)solar Wrote: The movie that I think you are remembering is the 1964 motion picture entitled FAIL-SAFE ...

... see this link and this link.

It came out about the same time as Stanley Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE.

DR. STRANGELOVE was "nuclear comedy" with actor Peter Sellers.

In FAIL-SAFE, actor Henry Fonda as the U.S. President, ultimately resorts to nuking the New York metropolitan area.

The movie, at the time, was considered a "political shocker", "thinking the unthinkable", and conveying "the unthinkable" on the "big screen" ...

... similar to other sixties movies "thinking the unthinkable" such as SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, and DR. STRANGELOVE.

Hope this helps, SacredSleep ! Smile

WOW thats sounds AWSOME!
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

[Image: Copyofsoldier2.jpg]
09-03-2010, 10:52 PM,
You are right Weyland, thanks.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
09-04-2010, 04:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 04:56 AM by SacredSleep.)
Awesome, thank you a ton for all your responses, I tried Dr. Strangelove, and although it was good, wasn't the one I was thinking of, about to try out fail-safe now, that sounds exactly like what it was. I thought i'd never find it out. Thank you sincerely Again!

:EDIT:

Yep, it was the 2000 remake I think, watching it now, but also getting the 1964 version as well. Made my night
09-04-2010, 04:40 PM,
Thanks, SacredSleep!

I didn't realize there was a year 2000 re-make of Fail-Safe.

I'll check it out.

Thanks, again !! Smile
09-04-2010, 08:26 PM,
Strangelove is right up there with Network on my list of kick-ass classics.
Never heard of Fail-Safe though.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2010, 12:01 AM by solar.)
Just finished watching the year 2000 re-make of the 1964 film FAIL-SAFE ...

... wow !! Yikes

That was a perfect "retro" adaptation ... Dazed

... it was even filmed in "black and white" like the original.

I'll have to re-watch the 1964 version which is now re-mastered for DVD.

Both versions are very good, but the year 2000 re-make IS better, just my opinion.

Great performances by all the actors, including George Clooney as the lead pilot and Richard Dreyfuss as the President.

George Clooney was also executive producer.

After the movie ends there is interesting "after statement" by the producers:

[beginning of quote--]

As of April 9, 2000, the following countries have nuclear capabilities:

United States
Russia
Great Britain
France
China
Israel
Pakistan
India
North Korea

[end of quote]

Icon_arrow Thanks, again, SacredSleep for telling us that there was a year 2000 re-make of FAIL-SAFE! Smile

Highly recommended.

09-05-2010, 04:04 PM,
What is even more incredible about the year 2000 re-make of FAIL-SAFE (see this link) is that it was presented LIVE on television twice on the same day ...

... just like some of the live "television theatre" in the sixties.

Apparently multiple sound stages are set up in order to present it live, to give the visual effect to the television viewer of a live stage production.

Amazing ...

... the television theatrical production has also been re-mastered now on DVD.

Producer and actor George Clooney apparently pushed for a live performance twice in the same day to allow for United States east coast and west coast time zones.

Similar to a stage production, there is no room for error for the actors when presenting it live on television. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best movie u have seen lately? clouds 116 22,514 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  [split] movie RaFTertheONE 7 585 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Last Post: RaFTertheONE
  A Movie I recommend : The East (2013) rockingtheboat 0 238 03-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockingtheboat
Bug Movie: Filth 2013, Scotland's Finest CharliePrime 10 876 02-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  Movie: ELYSIUM Orwell63 0 322 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Orwell63
  STARBUCK - Movie made in Quebec -Canada Watchdog 0 432 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Watchdog
  Movie with Concen-esque themes. Doomsticks 5 772 01-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  which radio show tells it like it is? Bull Medicine 21 4,121 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Last Post: sekular
  Videos of the new Alex Jones TV show BDuncan 8 2,022 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Last Post: FRD50
  Anyone remember the name of these docs? sekular 5 1,117 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Last Post: sekular