Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Poll: Majority of Americans would give up liberty for security
01-19-2010, 08:35 AM,
Posted Jan 15, 2010 by ■ Andrew Moran
A new poll released on Tuesday shows that majority of Americans would give up some of their liberties in order to make the United States safe from a potential terrorist attack.
Photo by Dan Paluska
Travelers go through security checkpoints at Denver airport
Benjamin Franklin once said, “When you give up your liberty for security; you deserve neither liberty nor security.”
There has been fierce debate over the level of privacy that airport security scanners invade but it doesn’t seem to bother Americans, at least according to a recent poll. A new McClatchy-Ipsos Reid poll found that 51 per cent of Americans are willing to give up some of their civil liberties for security, according to the United Press International.
However, 36 per cent of respondents believe that some of the government’s security proposals go too far in restricting the general public’s civil liberties. 14 per cent of respondents were undecided or said that it would depend on the situation.
The research further suggests that 75 per cent feel safe when they fly, which has dropped from 86 per cent from a similar poll conducted in 2007. Nearly a quarter of Americans don’t feel safe in the air, which has increased 13 per cent from 2008.
Nevertheless, a small fraction of the country, 4 per cent, believes terrorism is a very low priority on the to-do-list of the United States government, reports the Kansas City Star. While the economy and the high unemployment rate are the top issues for 48 per cent of Americans.
The poll concluded that 52 per cent approved of President Barack Obama’s job performance, while 45 per cent disapproved.
The telephone survey was conducted between Jan. 7 and Jan. 11 with 1,336 adult respondents and contains a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
01-20-2010, 06:35 AM,
RE: Poll: Majority of Americans would give up liberty for security
You have to be borderline retarded to be in the majority of this poll. Therefore it's appropriate that the blogger you cited was Andy Moran. Think hilariously misspelled anti-anti-war sign. Come on I know you've seen that one. Rofl
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM,
I might know what you mean, but when I see something obviously wrong, I tend to discount its source, unless I know that I'm going to have to debate them...a quick search to the link gave me this as his first comment on someone else's post re: Haiti -
"I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was an occupation mission."

He doesn't sound too far off base.
01-20-2010, 12:35 PM,
Majority of Americans?

In context this was a poll of ~1300 people by Ispos Reid who's motto is "Need a Poll Fixed? We've got your Number!".

Just in case you did not know, organizations such as this are told what results to produce then poll a large sample. That sample is selected from a list in their database where their random test subjects are selected tagged by how they think (purchasing habits, political affiliations etc.). This larger sample (this could be as many as 3 times the referred to poll size) is then, by computer, randomly sampled as many times as they have to to get their target numbers with a slice of the data (~1300 in this case).
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
01-20-2010, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM by joeblow.)
Probably the same percentage of people who will not name the Jew...oops...I meant the "Illuminati".
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM,
@joeblow
Your utter lack of PC is disturbingly refreshing.
01-20-2010, 09:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM by joeblow.)
(01-20-2010, 03:35 PM)FastTadpole Wrote: @joeblow
Your utter lack of PC is disturbingly refreshing.

Thank you!

To tell the truth, I would rather have the ability to write up well-written threads as you can, i.e. the Airport Scanner Radiation thread.
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM,
(01-20-2010, 12:35 PM)FastTadpole Wrote: That sample is selected from a list in their database where their random test subjects are selected tagged by how they think (purchasing habits, political affiliations etc.). This larger sample (this could be as many as 3 times the referred to poll size) is then, by computer, randomly sampled as many times as they have to to get their target numbers with a slice of the data (~1300 in this case).

All "polls" done by Ipsos are dialed randomly by telephone i.e. 555-0001, 555-0002 etc.... There is no pre-selected "database". And polls of this nature are never conducted online.
None Are More Hopelessly Enslaved
Than Those That Falsely Believe They Are Free
- Goethe
01-23-2010, 12:42 PM,
There is an appearance of randomness - polls can be bought and sold and they are rife with manipulations of 'random samples'. I listed a few of these methods above and never mentioned that polls were taken online (not that you stated I did). I'll add to that a poll can ask the same question a lot of different ways to entice the answer they want.

Bottom line don't trust a poll unless you do it yourself and actions are much more indicative than opinions. Polls can, and are, used to promote group think, alienation and are used to prop up ideologies and 'facts' regularly. Just another bastardized tool use for control for the most part with some notable exceptions.
01-23-2010, 01:43 PM,
These polls are a joke. When you ask 1300 people in nation of over 200 Millions, don't expect to be taken seriously.
01-23-2010, 08:48 PM,
most polls are taken from a small group of people then extrapolated. That's typically not the issue with polls. The problem arises when the questions used are the tools used to manipulate the results - for instance, the question used in this poll probably went something like this "If the government knew there were to be an multiple nuclear attack in most of the major population centers, would you feel comfortable taking off your shoes at the airport?" and then the MSM gets hold of it and generalizes the overall sentiment.
01-24-2010, 03:04 PM,
> Most polls are taken from a small group of people then extrapolated. That's typically not the issue with polls

Sure it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coca-Cola Dark - Denying Americans The Right To Know 4cc 1 312 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Watchdog
Information New York Times OP-ED: What Putin Has to Say to Americans About Syria FastTadpole 10 948 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
Exclamation Canada and US Border, Security, Military, Trade and Law Integration FastTadpole 6 2,300 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Many Americans gave up hope last year – 2012 will be worse Solve et Coagula 1 438 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Latest Iowa Poll Has Ron Paul In First Place Solve et Coagula 5 656 01-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Telecaster72
Information Bill C-428: Canada's Old Age Security Act Amendments FastTadpole 10 4,059 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Why Americans hate politics. Plutarcus 0 395 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Plutarcus
  Marine Le Pen more popular than President Sarkozy, says French poll Plutarcus 0 374 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Plutarcus
  Minorities Are Majority in 22 Big Urban Areas R.R 0 304 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: R.R
  Can anyone give me some input on why Dave Chappelle left his show? datars 10 3,216 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Last Post: BaBaYaGa