MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - Printable Version
ConCen
Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - Printable Version

+- ConCen (https://concen.org/oldforum)
+-- Forum: Main (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Big Brother (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? (/thread-46310.html)

Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - yeti - 07-07-2012

Someone posted this on reddit.com the other day.

I thought I'd run it by y'all. BTW Ottawa is my home town and always has a massive Canada Day.

Some of the commentors were saying it's probably a hobbyist with one of these.

Your thoughts?

RE: Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - h3rm35 - 07-07-2012

IMO it looks as though its fabricated in order to turn heads. The key to practical application of surveillance drones is that they're not noticed.

I still want one of the craft you linked to though - that's fucking awesome.

The thing we've got to realize, (or worry about in the future) is that when, (not if,) the FAA allows unmanned drones in civilian airspace, there will be no way to tell who's piloting them... It's not like military aircraft, where you're left wondering what the motives are behind the military - you have to wonder about direct motives, (Canada will either precede or follow shortly after the US.)

I'd personally appreciate seeing any photos of drones "in the wild" from anywhere.

I'd like to create a spotter's book for the different types with silhouettes - direct and profile, actual photos, descriptions of engine noise and flight behavior, total tactical capabilities, known usage and institutions who use them, and known areas of operation. It'd be nice to be aware of before they show up everywhere.

RE: Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - yeti - 07-07-2012

(07-07-2012, 04:04 AM)h3rm35 Wrote: The key to practical application of surveillance drones is that they're not noticed.

A key part of PsyOps is to make sure the target knows they are being watched.

(07-07-2012, 04:04 AM)h3rm35 Wrote: The thing we've got to realize, (or worry about in the future) is that when, (not if,) the FAA allows unmanned drones in civilian airspace, there will be no way to tell who's piloting them... (Canada will either precede or follow shortly after the US.)

They are currently legal for civilians to use them provided you follow these guidelines:
http://www.draganfly.com/news/2012/05/11/sfoc-special-flight-operations-permits-in-canada-what-uav-operators-need-to-know/

RE: Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - h3rm35 - 07-07-2012

ok - its kinda like mopeds Vs. motorcycles... as long as its less than 50cc, it's all good...

Are you trying to fuck w/me?

RE: Drone in Ottawa on Canada Day? - yeti - 07-07-2012

(07-07-2012, 06:13 AM)h3rm35 Wrote: Are you trying to fuck w/me?

You know I would never do that h3rm35, that's just not how I roll.