ConCen
Help me translate something :) - Printable Version

+- ConCen (https://concen.org/oldforum)
+-- Forum: Main (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Help me translate something :) (/thread-32837.html)

Help me translate something :) - Enteogen - 05-09-2010

Allright, so there i was disseminating the truth about drugs Smile by translating this text in my language. (i'm a big fan of Friedman and professor Szasz btw) UNTILL! I got to this part:

"Our obsession with the necessity of drug controls is closely intertwined with our attitudes„ toward self-harm and health care on the one hand, and, on, the other hand, with our attitudes toward, the manufacturer's and provider's tort liability for substances and interventions classified as "medical." In contemporary medical-political discourse, the issue of free will is raised only to assert its absence, and hence the unsuitability of market relations in connection with drugs and health care. To be sure, it makes no sense to let people make important choices if we believe that they are unable to choose, because they are the victims of addiction or mental illness. "

Now the part i'm interested in is the one i've bolded. I just can't understand if Prof. Szasz is ironic and thinks that addicts and the nut cases should have the liberty to make important choices, or just the opposite - he says that if drugs and health care would be marketed, the addicts and nut jobs should have some form of protection from making bad decisions?

Please, someone that's english or anyone that understands this sentence, breack it down for me and explain it Smile I'm asking help here, 'cuz this is the only forum i'm registered onSmile and my other english friends dont know about my activities Big Grin

RE: Help me translate something :) - Easy Skanking - 05-09-2010

From the context of the article, it reads to me that he is saying everyone should have the freedoms to choose their medications EXCEPT those society has deemed mentally ill or has branded as addicts. Later in the article he compares them to children that don't know any better and how children have to be protected from themsleves.

RE: Help me translate something :) - joeblow - 05-09-2010

To be sure, it makes no sense to let people make important choices if we believe that they are unable to choose, because they are the victims of addiction or mental illness.

Those who are drug-addicts or mental-patients should not be allow to make their own important choices, since they are unable to choose because of their illness.

RE: Help me translate something :) - Enteogen - 05-09-2010

Thanks a very lot Easy Skanking! for helping me out and for supporting the cause Wink

The thing that threw me off was that "To be sure" at the beginning, like to be sure of what? OF WHAT?!?! It drove me insane and made me philosophize about the logical nature of that sentence for like 30 min untill i decided to get some help here Smile But then he talks about defining addiction, i mean how much of an addict must you be not to know whats good or bad for you? How do you measure addiction? And then to top it off, prof. Szasz is the main advocate of the idea that there are no mental illnesses Sad So that made me draw the conclusion that he might be ironic or smth.
Damn, well i guess if i would have read forward i would have understood the sentence thanks to that children analogy! Dang Smile Anyway, I really appreciate your help and hope someday i can return the fave!

And thank you too joeblow, i understand now Smile

RE: Help me translate something :) - yeti - 05-10-2010

Think of "to be sure" as meaning "to be precise" or "in other words".

RE: Help me translate something :) - --- - 05-10-2010

paternalistic liberalism :ugh:

"we are shooting you in the head for your own good"
(05-09-2010, 10:36 PM)joeblow Wrote: To be sure, it makes no sense to let people make important choices if we believe that they are unable to choose, because they are the victims of addiction or mental illness.

Those who are drug-addicts or mental-patients should not be allow to make their own important choices, since they are unable to choose because of their illness.

this is an uninformed nonsense statement - people suffering from psychiatric disorders often manage their conditions more successfully without the interference of the state entity. Time and time again we hear of the destruction of people as they are put "through the wringer" of the psychiatric profession. And then there are the conditions which cannot be "medicated" - much of the time such people are convinced by professionals that they have chronic co-morbid conditions in order to get them cozy customer with some big pharma group or other.

This is the beginning of a "politically correct" T4 programme lol

You are here essentially subscribing 100% to the new edicts of Paternalistic liberalism and it's "choice architects". Sure, sure, they'll plump up something reasonable sounding, such as - the drug addicts and the crazies cannot fend for themselves, we are going to be there for them to help them make the correct choices. But it gets far worse.

jolly bad show

RE: Help me translate something :) - AlexLibman - 05-10-2010

I would translate it to Russian for you, but my written command of my native language is no longer perfect, and it would take more time than I am willing to donate. People on a site like freelancer.com could translate it very professionally and cheaply.

RE: Help me translate something :) - h3rm35 - 05-10-2010

It's only 32 words... Is it really necessary to contract it out?

It sounds like they got the re-phrasing they were looking for already anyway.

RE: Help me translate something :) - --- - 05-10-2010

(05-09-2010, 10:09 PM)Enteogen Wrote: Now the part i'm interested in is the one i've bolded. I just can't understand if Prof. Szasz is ironic and thinks that addicts and the nut cases should have the liberty to make important choices, or just the opposite - he says that if drugs and health care would be marketed, the addicts and nut jobs should have some form of protection from making bad decisions?

Please, someone that's english or anyone that understands this sentence, breack it down for me and explain it Smile I'm asking help here, 'cuz this is the only forum i'm registered onSmile and my other english friends dont know about my activities Big Grin

check out - "paternalistic liberalism"