ConCen
Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - Printable Version

+- ConCen (https://concen.org/oldforum)
+-- Forum: Main (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The War on Drugs (https://concen.org/oldforum/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad (/thread-27264.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - psilocybin - 01-15-2007

Quote:pot heads are certainly more apt to become non-conformists and open-minded than non-users but pot DOES cause short-term memory loss which means it challenges your ability to learn and grow. all the long-term potheads i know, ALL of them still behave the way they did when they first started. it's like a time capsule. once you start using, and for the duration of your usage, your short-term memory never makes it to your long-term memory which "stunts your growth". lotta potheads argue this with me all the time so i'm sure a couple of you will also but studies have proven it and so has personal experience proven it to me so you won't convince me that i'm wrong here. i've lived the proof, and still knowing potheads i still see the proof every day. if you argue it then it is out of self-preservation / egotism or plain denial. it is for this sole reason that i believe pot to be a bad thing. to me, this is the only negative side-effect of the plant, and alcohol has the exact same effect. alcoholics who are 30 years old who got their start in high school still behave as if they were still in high school or college. i'm 28 years old and to this day i have still not met one exception to this observation. it's always the same.

This is nonsense. Your observations aren't really that credible. Seriously, it doesn't shut down your short term memory completely or make it so you can't learn. I've got a college degree that I aquired while on pot. I guess I knew everything already by what you say. Alcoholism is much different than pot use. You need to read into addiction.

I don't know why but I find your post almost insulting. It seems flagrantly naive.

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - ephilution - 01-15-2007

Quote:pot heads are certainly more apt to become non-conformists and open-minded than non-users but pot DOES cause short-term memory loss which means it challenges your ability to learn and grow. all the long-term potheads i know, ALL of them still behave the way they did when they first started. it's like a time capsule. once you start using, and for the duration of your usage, your short-term memory never makes it to your long-term memory which "stunts your growth". lotta potheads argue this with me all the time so i'm sure a couple of you will also but studies have proven it and so has personal experience proven it to me so you won't convince me that i'm wrong here. i've lived the proof, and still knowing potheads i still see the proof every day. if you argue it then it is out of self-preservation / egotism or plain denial. it is for this sole reason that i believe pot to be a bad thing. to me, this is the only negative side-effect of the plant, and alcohol has the exact same effect. alcoholics who are 30 years old who got their start in high school still behave as if they were still in high school or college. i'm 28 years old and to this day i have still not met one exception to this observation. it's always the same.
The impact of THC on a user depends not only depends on the THC but also the user himself. If you get stoned all the time then indeed chances are you'll lose (at least) some of your short-term memory capacity. Fortunately, this form of deterioration is reversible once consumption of THC is reduced or abandoned. If you're a casual and not an obsessive smoker I think the impact of THC on memory faculties should not be dramatised. If anything, I think the impact of alcohol on mind functions is much more severe than THC. If in doubt, then compare the hangover you get from an alcohol binge with that after a day of getting stoned out of your skull. The damaging effects of alcohol on the mind and body are far greater than that of THC. You can convince yourself of this fact immediately after comparing organs of deceased alchoholics such as liver and brain with those of smokers of chronic. Alcohol is a real poison and the liver acknowledges this by prioritizing alcohol metabolism above all else vital cleansing functions. Alcohol just has got to go first, it's a biological given. Is there a THC equivalent to Korsakoff's disease? Or what about liver diseases? And so on...

Also, but this is more personal, while alcohol loosens the tongue (which can be fun though) and (unfortunately) the fist, THC has more inspirational and consciousness expanding properties very much savored by yours truly. In fact, I wrote my PhD dissertation on a 'playground' steeped with THC and acid (I know, naughty boy). Both types of drugs added greatly to my philosophical inspiration and analytical skills. This is not to say that I advocate for everybody to become stoners and getting stoned all the time. Even THC is not holy and there are some risks involved with consuming THC such as mild forms of paranoia and it can be somewhat challenging to keep up motivation levels. You have to exert some wisdom in the consumption of the substance. This goes for any substance though.

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - Easy Skanking - 01-15-2007

Alcohol and THC do affect the body in very different ways. You can see from the way the marijuana cannabanoids bind to the endocannabanoid receptors in humans to produce homeostasis. THC is a HEALTHY substance in moderate amounts for humans. Anything is poisonous in large amounts....
Alcoholism is a physical and psychological addiction. Pot can only be a psychological addiction. Personally I have not seen a real addiction to it ever. I even worked in a Chemical Dependency Hospital for a while and dated a CD Councilor. It's apples and oranges, if you will.;)

Source: NORML
Quote:Endocannabinoid System May Play Role In Maintaining Body's Homeostasis

October 20, 2005 - Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Colorado Springs, CO: The endocannabinoid system appears to play a major role in maintaining homeostasis (metabolic equilibrium) in humans and other living organisms, according to a review published in the September issue of the Harm Reduction Journal. Endocannabinoids are chemicals produced naturally in humans and animals that bind to the same receptors as do plant-derived cannabinoids such as THC.

"Endocannabinoids protect [living organisms] by fine-tuning and regulating dynamic biochemical steady states within the ranges required for healthy biological function, [and...] counteract[ing] biochemical imbalances that are characteristic of numerous damaged or diseased states, in particular those associated with aging," according to the review.

Biological functions regulated by endocannabinoids include appetite, body temperature, blood pressure, reproductive activity, learning capacity, and motor coordination.

A separate study published in the current issue of the Harm Reduction Journal speculates that cannabis smoke may be less carcinogenic than tobacco smoke because cannabinoids possess anti-cancer properties.

An epidemiological review published this past summer in the journal Alcohol concluded that the moderate use of cannabis is not associated with an increased risk of tobacco-related cancers, such as lung or colorectal cancer. A 1999 review by the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine found "no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including cancers usually related to tobacco use."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Senior Policy Analyst, at (202) 483-5500. Full text of both studies are available on the Harm Reduction Journal website at: http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/home/

Here's some additional info: NORML
Quote:Endocannabinoid Production Elevates Mood, Study Says

January 19, 2006 - Montreal, Canada

Montreal, Quebec: Raising the level of endocannabinoids released by the brain elevates mood, according to preclinical trial data published last month in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. Endocannabinoids are marijuana-like chemicals produced naturally in humans and animals that bind to the same receptors as do plant-derived cannabinoids such as THC.

Researchers at the McGill University Health Center in Montreal found that the administration of the synthetic agent URB579 exerted "potent anti-depressant-like effects" in animals by blocking the degradation of endocannabinoids.

"This is the first time it has been shown that a drug that increases cannabinoids in the brain can improve your mood," lead investigator Gabriella Gobbi stated.

Research published last year in the Journal of Psychopharmacology suggested that cannabis and cannabinoids exert anxiolytic and antidepressant effects, and recommended clinical trials investigating their use in the treatment of bipolar effective disorder.

Survey data published last summer in the journal Addictive Behaviors found that adults who use cannabis report suffering from less severe incidents and/or symptoms of depression than non-users.

Previous research on endocannabinoids and the endocannabinoid receptor system indicates that cannabinoids may play a role in maintaining homeostasis (metabolic equilibrium) in humans and other living organisms. Biological functions regulated by endocannabinoids include appetite, body temperature, blood pressure, bone density, reproductive activity, learning capacity, and motor coordination.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Senior Policy Analyst, at (202) 483-5500. Full text of the study, "Antidepressant-like activity and modulation of brain monoaminergic transmission by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis," appears in the December 2005 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA.

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - ephilution - 01-15-2007

I am not worthy.... 1000 times thanks ES. [Image: bowdownyh7.gif]

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - Easy Skanking - 01-16-2007

Quote:I am not worthy.... 1000 times thanks ES. [Image: bowdownyh7.gif]

LOL No prob. What can I say? I know my pot. :joint:

For any who want some scientifically backed and researched info on marijuana, go to http://www.norml.org/
There are also ways to help get legislation changed in relation to pot. Once again, I'll say I think weed is a powerful tool in fighting tyranny and oppression,IMO. Like all the other stuff we research on ConCen, it's important to know all available facts...but you guys already know that. :grin:

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - slothy - 01-16-2007

I gave up smoking hash about 6 weeks ago (chronic use, every day I could get it for 15 years) and I'm a much nicer person now. Sure, we're all different, but I agree with what Aaron Mann says above- I didn't do anything much. In fact I was an asshole!

I wouldn't call for criminalising it, but I think the view which most people have of MJ/hash (that it's a drug 'lite') can be dangerous, enabling the user to justify his/her use, or be in denial about its effect on their life. The reputation of drugs like cocaine make them command more respect from the user, I think.

I can't control my THC intake much like an alcoholic with drink- it's a weakness of mine- so I'm not occupying any high moral ground here (no pun intended). I just think that THC should be treated with more caution by the average 'dooby newby' to coin a phrase.

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - ephilution - 01-16-2007

Quote:I gave up smoking hash about 6 weeks ago (chronic use, every day I could get it for 15 years) and I'm a much nicer person now. Sure, we're all different, but I agree with what Aaron Mann says above- I didn't do anything much. In fact I was an asshole!

I wouldn't call for criminalising it, but I think the view which most people have of MJ/hash (that it's a drug 'lite') can be dangerous, enabling the user to justify his/her use, or be in denial about its effect on their life. The reputation of drugs like cocaine make them command more respect from the user, I think.

I can't control my THC intake much like an alcoholic with drink- it's a weakness of mine- so I'm not occupying any high moral ground here (no pun intended). I just think that THC should be treated with more caution by the average 'dooby newby' to coin a phrase.
It seems that you have a substance abuse problem, or an addictive personality. For all I know you're alternative fix of choice may have been, alcohol, (mono) sex, gambling, other types of drugs, etc... I don't know you but with the problem of substance abuse, I think the substance itself is only partly to blame at best. The brunt of the problem lies with the abuser not the agent of abuse. That you were a self-proclaimed asshole does not surprise me, as many addicts struggle feeling good enough to afford a good mood. My own dad, who was addicted to alcohol, was no sunshine either so I suppose I know where you're coming from.

Mono sex? :pissed:

I agree with you that I have an addictive personality, and that knowledge/realisation will cause me to be more careful in the future with drugs or habits generally. My point is that THC drugs (to use a generic term) are viewed as nothing to worry about, and more people are likely to come under the long-term influence of them.

I'm not saying they are intrinsically bad, I'm just saying that they should be respected more. Especially as they are stronger these days..

Quote:Mono sex? :pissed:

I agree with you that I have an addictive personality, and that knowledge/realisation will cause me to be more careful in the future with drugs or habits generally. My point is that THC drugs (to use a generic term) are viewed as nothing to worry about, and more people are likely to come under the long-term influence of them.

That's just the thing with a psychological addiction or addictive personality, it doesn't matter what the addiction's substance is (sex, drugs, gambling) as long as it gets those pleasure feedback circuits firing in the brain, you get your fix. The addiction itself is not to the substance but to the chemical reaction ANY addiction causes in your brain. In other words, it's not the substance itself, it's your brain that has the problem. You will see this addressed in the better drug treatment programs, btw.

Quote:I'm not saying they are intrinsically bad, I'm just saying that they should be respected more. Especially as they are stronger these days..

Marijuana is not stronger these days. That is a myth perpetrated by US and UK governments.

Quote:Average Pot Potency No Stronger, Study Says

July 1, 2004 - Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon, Portugal: The overall strength of marijuana available in Europe has remained stable despite claims from US officials and others that it has increased significantly in recent years, according to a study released this week by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction.

The study, which analyzed the potency of marijuana seized by police between 1995 and 2002, is the first-ever European review of cannabis potency.

"There is no evidence of a significant increase in potency," authors determined. "Today's report shows that effective potency of cannabis in nearly all EU countries has remained quite stable for many years, at around 6-8 percent THC."

Average pot potency in the Netherlands was higher than the EU average, authors noted, because domestically-produced, indoor cannabis is more widely available there than in other European nations.

Average potency of US pot is between 4 and 5 percent THC, according to federal statistics.

In recent years, US Drug Czar John Walters and other anti-drug officials have alleged that today's marijuana is, on average, some "30 times" more potent than the pot available in the 1960s and 1970s.

For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, Executive Director of the NORML Foundation, at (202) 483-5500. Full text of the study is available online at:
http://www.emcdda.eu.int/

Quote:New Federal Report Contradicts Drug Czar's Claims

August 26, 2004 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: A newly released federal report refutes claims by US Drug Czar John Walters that the United States is being inundated with Canadian pot, that the drug's potency is dramatically rising, and that marijuana poses a greater public health threat than heroin or cocaine.

According to the US Department of Justice report, "National Drug Threat Assessment 2004," the overwhelming majority of commercial grade marijuana consumed in the US comes from California and Mexico. The report further adds that Hawaii, not Canada, is the US' "leading source of high potency marijuana." The report estimated that between 10,000 and 24,000 metric tons of marijuana is available in the US.

In recent months, Walters has testified that the US marijuana market is being inundated with high potency cannabis from British Columbia, dubbing it the "crack of marijuana." Most recently, Walters has claimed that this influx of Canadian pot is directly responsible for sending rising numbers of Americans to the emergency room.

According to the DOJ report, however, increased mentions of marijuana during emergency room visits "in recent years have not been significant," and account for less than ten percent of all drug mentions. The report further stated that the average THC content of US commercial grade marijuana is around five percent, despite claims by Walters that today's marijuana potency levels are "10 to 20 times stronger" than they were a generation ago.

Authors of the report note that despite federal and state anti-drug efforts, marijuana remains "widely available" in the United States, with "98.2 percent of state and local law enforcement agencies nationwide [describing] marijuana availability as high or moderate." Nevertheless, only 13 percent of state and local law enforcement agencies identified marijuana as "their greatest drug threat," and less than five percent identified pot as "the drug most contributing to violent crime in their areas."

The release of the DOJ report came on the eve of an announcement from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy that the administration plans "to shift some of the focus in research and enforcement from 'hard' drugs such as cocaine and heroin to marijuana."

For more information, please contact either Allen St. Pierre or Paul Armentano of the NORML Foundation, at (202) 483-5500. Copies of the report are available online at:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs8/8731/

If feel you have an addiction problem, it is important to get help. However, do your research into addiction and treatment before getting yourself into a program that doesn't help..or worse causes additional mental problems.

Quote:Mono sex? :pissed:

I'm not saying they are intrinsically bad, I'm just saying that they should be respected more. Especially as they are stronger these days..
Fair enough... Handle with care. :biggrin:

But that goes for any addiction, whether it be eating hamburgers, drinking beer, playing video games, watching TV, etc.. and yes even masturbation (nothing personal, just making a point). Basically, the underlying neuro-physiological mechanism of addiction can be traced back to the dopamine release system of the brain or reward pathway (possible other neural pathways such as the endorphin-system (opiate-like) may play a part too). The pathways of addiction may also be circumsribed as the seat of motivation. EVERYTHING that gives you a feeling of reward ('rush') can be addictive and its owner is motivated to regularly if not constantly pursue utilizing the agent responsible for causing the addictive rush of gratification.

Fortunately, there's an upside to all of this too. And people with success in life are living proof of this mechanism. Namely, the persuit of success in life can be very rewarding and thus addictive. I bet a lot of people having success in life owe their enormous drive to attain their goals to the very brain-mechanism that also lands destitute heroin junks in gutters. An acclaimed professor with remarkable achievements may have no significantly different (i.e. equally thirsty) reward system than the junk across the street. The rush or fix of writing a really good paper that earns you a great deal of recognition from your peers may be similar or greater than snorting a gram of cocaine. At any rate, the high of the professor would last a lot longer. The more addictive your personality is the greater will be the need to seek satisfaction. Cravings for success can be as great as cravings for any substance. I suspect that my once professor at Berkeley, who earned himself a nobel prize in physics, has in fact a reward system with unquenchable thirst so to speak. In 2001 he was still going strong at his work even though he was way beyond retirement age. He got the nobel prize in 1960 so you do the math. Success in life taken as broad as possible is a most worthy goal to pursue (all the more so if it's also an ethically acceptable goal). Substance abuse is a shadowy aberration consequential to a hi-jacked fiery motivational system, call it a surrogate means of fulfillment if you will.

From an evolutionary perspective it can then be understood that the genetic foundation for addiction simply persists in the gene pool. It just doesn't get weeded out by means of natural selection since successful people carry on their genes to next generations on the vehicle of success (in life). Anyway, I'm getting carried away... if you read as far as this I hope you get my point. :biggrin:

[quote name='Easy Skanking' date='Jan 16 2007, 09:51 PM' post='40978']
[quote name='slothy' post='40962' date='Jan 16 2007, 02:22 PM']

If feel you have an addiction problem, it is important to get help. However, do your research into addiction and treatment before getting yourself into a program that doesn't help..or worse causes additional mental problems.
[/quote]

Thanks, but I gave up 6 weeks ago!

On the subject of it being stronger now, I stand corrected.

ephilution- I agree with you 100%, drugs are a con to the brain (not wishing to piss off any drug users as opposed to abusers)

Great! What's important is what's right for you to be healthy and happy and to find truth for yourself. :biggrin:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:If feel you have an addiction problem, it is important to get help. However, do your research into addiction and treatment before getting yourself into a program that doesn't help..or worse causes additional mental problems.

Thanks, but I gave up 6 weeks ago!

On the subject of it being stronger now, I stand corrected.

ephilution- I agree with you 100%, drugs are a con to the brain (not wishing to piss off any drug users as opposed to abusers)
Indeed. And also sensible drug use can aid in furthering the development of consciousness. The shamans and druids of the old days new this very well... The use of psychedelic substances can be found in a lot of cultures, old and new...

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - Thought Experiment - 01-17-2007

i know im joining this thread a bit late, but has anyone smoked any of this toxic skunk thats been going about recently?
its some pretty crappy weed that has been sprayed - literally - with some form of silica dust or powder. Its rreally horrible to smoke and leaves one with a painful chest and headaches. One guy i know was sick twice from it!!!
To begin with my friends and me thought that it may be the residue of some anti-dust mite spray, but recent reports in the Guardian suggest that it is powdered glass!!!
One rumor thats been circulating is that its the spray from a gun used to make fibre glass, and has caused the death of one person (apparently...) by collapsed lung!!!
anyways, heres the article The Guardian

be sure you know what you are smoking, people

Brain Warning In Cannabis Tv Ad - ephilution - 01-17-2007

Quote:i know im joining this thread a bit late, but has anyone smoked any of this toxic skunk thats been going about recently?
its some pretty crappy weed that has been sprayed - literally - with some form of silica dust or powder. Its rreally horrible to smoke and leaves one with a painful chest and headaches. One guy i know was sick twice from it!!!
To begin with my friends and me thought that it may be the residue of some anti-dust mite spray, but recent reports in the Guardian suggest that it is powdered glass!!!
One rumor thats been circulating is that its the spray from a gun used to make fibre glass, and has caused the death of one person (apparently...) by collapsed lung!!!
anyways, heres the article The Guardian

be sure you know what you are smoking, people
For sure. To adulterate weed like that is downright stupid because you scare your customers away. Haven't heard anything of a toxic kind of skunk circulating here in Holland. What country are you from?