Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I increase my upload speed?
05-05-2012, 08:34 AM
How do I increase my upload speed?
I recently uploaded my first torrent, and I quickly realised when people started downloading it that 5 kb/s is not quite going to cut it for a 4 gig file... I cut out seeding all other torrents I had, and set upload to priority over download (downloading something currently), but apart from that, I do not know how to increase it much more. I am currently seeding at 25-30 kb/s, but would like to go higher. Or, am I bound to be slow simply because my ISP is a huge disappointment, and rarely gives me over 600 kb/s to browse on?

Thanks for any tips,
Anarchist

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry L. Mencken

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant. - Henry L. Mencken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: How do I increase my upload speed?
Also, can anyone explain why the health of the torrent is bad?

http://concen.org/tracker/torrents-details.php?id=29169

Again, my first one so I am new to uploading, but I got the files directly from the DVD. Is it because the upload is slow?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry L. Mencken

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant. - Henry L. Mencken
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 11:24 AM by IanPotter.)
I'm not an expert but it sounds like you've done all you can. However, it would have been better if you'd have ripped the CD and converted it to a .mp4 file or something. I use Linux so I use a little app called acidrip and tell it to rip the DVD to the size I want (usually 700mb), but if you're using Windoze you might want to look for something similar.

For me though, the speed of the download isn't a major issue. Some peeps will moan, but they'd whine if you copied the DVD and put in their player for them so I wouldn't worry too much. Once bits of the file do finally get to someone else they'll be able to distribute it around much faster.

The three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collusion and maintain security dependence among the vassals, to keep tributaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together. Zbig the Ruthless.
05-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Any tips on how to rip the CD? Sadly, as much as I would like to be, I am not much of a nerd.

05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
It's easy enough, but you need to have some software capable of ripping the disc. Basic 'out of the box' Windows probably doesn't have that. Could be wrong however; because it's years since I've used Windows.

If you're lucky and your 'puter already has some CD/DVD writing software installed, ie something like Nero, you can do it from there, but again, since I don't use Windows I don't remember precisely how to do it. Should be well covered in Nero's help section though if not self-explanatory.

Alternatively, if you don't have Nero or anything that sounds like it can do the job, do a search for something like "windows dvd rip ripper free" and you'll locate plenty of options. Examine any screenshots or guides to see which sounds easiest, then once you've made a decision, download the installer/setup file, double click it to install and away you go!

Maybe a Windows user might be along in a minute to offer better advice, but I think you'll probably be OK if you give it a try. I'm not really a geek, but even geeks didn't know much about 'puters once!

You've got to be brave enough to take it on and teach it who's boss! That's always been my philosophy anyway...

The three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collusion and maintain security dependence among the vassals, to keep tributaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together. Zbig the Ruthless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Photo No upload interzone 2 392 02-08-2012 06:48 AM
Last Post: thokling
  I was wondering if you could uncap a DSL modem UPLOAD rate ? Weyland 3 962 09-02-2007 09:43 AM
Last Post: Ognir
  Trying to figure out how upload audio and... 009mj12 1 465 09-02-2007 09:36 AM
  Need Upload Banwidth? Get a Seedbox Weyland 4 821 09-02-2007 09:35 AM
  100% Wireless Mobile Spy Camera Setup W/ Real Time Net Upload pursuitofliberty 16 3,350 05-25-2007 03:07 PM
Last Post: flatron
  Best Upload Site? refugee 2 634 03-07-2007 10:41 PM
Last Post: TeslaandLyne
  Speed Record For Electrical Processing Calculon 1 545 12-23-2006 05:56 AM
Last Post: Chauchey