Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
ConCen money bum!
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 02:54 PM by Epinnoia.)
RE: ConCen money bum!
Yeti,

Please do consider a bitcoin solution. They're currently at $17 USD per bitcoin, and may be easier for some of your many visitors to part with in these troubled times.

Even with my really crappy video card, I can 'mine' 0.2 bitcoins per day. If 20 people gave you 0.2 bitcoins a month...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
(06-27-2011 02:36 PM)Epinnoia Wrote:  you could argue that fixing the breaks on your car was an asset to ConCen, since you couldn't travel to the server without them. At some point, it becomes absurd.

OK, but we're not talking about brakes on a car, we're talking about the PC that I develop code for the site on, and which stores the backup of the site. I don't understand why you find that absurd.

[Image: randquote.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-27-2011, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 05:05 PM by Epinnoia.)
(06-27-2011 03:15 PM)yeti Wrote:  
(06-27-2011 02:36 PM)Epinnoia Wrote:  you could argue that fixing the breaks on your car was an asset to ConCen, since you couldn't travel to the server without them. At some point, it becomes absurd.

OK, but we're not talking about brakes on a car, we're talking about the PC that I develop code for the site on, and which stores the backup of the site. I don't understand why you find that absurd.

I didn't say it was absurd. I said that it can reach a point of absurdity, where someone in your shoes might feel he needs a new monitor, new hard drive, etc. I was showing an analogous situation. What's important is whether or not the people who donated feel that their donations were spent wrongly. If your spending donations this way causes a significant # of people to stop donating, it isn't good for the website's long-term either. You have not wronged me. And I do not presume to speak for those who donated. I do think their voices on this are of primary importance, since it is the class of donators which ultimately make this site available to everyone.

I do wonder why you would place the 'rent' at risk, though. What if you don't get the monthly hosting fees? Then you would have made the concen donators buy equipment that ultimately helps concen in no way whatsoever -- the website would presumably be taken offline, yet you'd have your computer repaired. I mean, what use is repairing the hot water heater if your wind up spending your mortgage payment to do so? Great, your water heater works! But you no longer own the home!
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
(06-27-2011 04:49 PM)Epinnoia Wrote:  I didn't say it was absurd. I said that it can reach a point of absurdity, where someone in your shoes might feel he needs a new monitor, new hard drive, etc. I was showing an analogous situation. What's important is whether or not the people who donated feel that their donations were spent wrongly. If your spending donations this way causes a significant # of people to stop donating, it isn't good for the website's long-term either. You have not wronged me. And I do not presume to speak for those who donated. I do think their voices on this are of primary importance, since it is the class of donators which ultimately make this site available to everyone.

It is the donors AND the free use of my server AND the work of myself and the mods that make this site available. Without all three, there is no ConCen.

(06-27-2011 04:49 PM)Epinnoia Wrote:  I do wonder why you would place the 'rent' at risk, though. What if you don't get the monthly hosting fees?

That scenario would have forced me to pawn one of the few things of value I have left. There is no way I would let this site go down.

If the situation continued, then the site would go down through lack of monetary support.

06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
(06-27-2011 04:49 PM)Epinnoia Wrote:  I didn't say it was absurd. I said that it can reach a point of absurdity, where someone in your shoes might feel he needs a new monitor, new hard drive, etc. I was showing an analogous situation. What's important is whether or not the people who donated feel that their donations were spent wrongly. If your spending donations this way causes a significant # of people to stop donating, it isn't good for the website's long-term either. You have not wronged me. And I do not presume to speak for those who donated. I do think their voices on this are of primary importance, since it is the class of donators which ultimately make this site available to everyone.

I agree with you Epinnoia.

Maybe the other mods will consider your suggestion.

I'd like these donations to only go toward the monthly ConCen bill and maybe have a separate drive for " Ship Maintenance."

But at the same time... if your using paypal... you can always write in the comment section *Just for repairs* or something along those lines, if that's where you wanted your dollars to go.

The Anthem
06-27-2011, 08:15 PM
When yeti first mentioned having trouble with his work station the mods discussed it and I suggested that he use site funds to have it repaired or replaced. yeti refused the offer, as I recall he thought he could repair the problem himself. So, it is not like he did this out of the blue.
I do think a finances page showing income and out go is a good idea though.

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/features

Unlimited Storage & Unlimited Data Transfer - $7.46 per month..

Marc "TheQleaner" Fisher
Unseen Head
The Illuminati Order

Novus Ordo Seclorum

https://www.facebook.com/The.Illuminati.All.Seeing.Eye
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
(06-27-2011 09:32 PM)TheQleaner Wrote:  http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/features

Are you joking, or do you actually believe the solution you refer to would be sufficient for this site?

06-27-2011, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 10:20 PM by TheQleaner.)
(06-27-2011 10:10 PM)yeti Wrote:  
(06-27-2011 09:32 PM)TheQleaner Wrote:  http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/features

Are you joking, or do you actually believe the solution you refer to would be sufficient for this site?

Nope, not joking.. They are my host as well, and have been for several years.. Unlimited storage and bandwidth.. The only thing I dont know is if they can support MyBB.. They support MySQL and PHP, but not sure if your forum software will run.. It should..

Marc "TheQleaner" Fisher
Unseen Head
The Illuminati Order

Novus Ordo Seclorum

https://www.facebook.com/The.Illuminati.All.Seeing.Eye
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Signs053

LOL

"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 10:25 PM by rsol.)
what exactly is wrong with the kit?

i ask this because spares may be more viable to folks than cash.

just a thought...
06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
(06-27-2011 10:15 PM)TheQleaner Wrote:  Nope, not joking.. They are my host as well, and have been for several years.. Unlimited storage and bandwidth.. The only thing I dont know is if they can support MyBB.. They support MySQL and PHP, but not sure if your forum software will run.. It should..

And the tracker? What are the chances they support bittorrent servers? Anyway it's not going to happen while I'm part of Concen.

06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
(06-27-2011 10:20 PM)rsol Wrote:  what exactly is wrong with the kit?

Either the motherboard or CPU. Both are ancient and could only be replaced with used equipment.

06-27-2011, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2011 11:03 PM by rsol.)
is the psu as old? crappy sigs make for nutty mobos...
06-27-2011, 11:11 PM
(06-27-2011 11:02 PM)rsol Wrote:  is the psu as old? crappy sigs make for nutty mobos...

The PSU and memory were replaced to no avail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Why is CONCEN so Dead ? CharliePrime 12 264 Today 07:48 PM
Last Post: ZeroCenter
  Is ConCen down right now? stiffy 0 22 Yesterday 03:10 AM
Last Post: stiffy
  HTTPS On Concen.org??? NetEffect 2 652 10-15-2013 11:30 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Racism @ ConCen flamesong 14 1,089 11-01-2012 02:23 PM
Last Post: Swordfish
  concen will no longer talk to my win2k browser :-( 1martian 3 477 10-02-2012 05:44 AM
Last Post: 1martian
  ConCen Wiki a monumental yawn! yeti 18 2,851 05-28-2012 02:12 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  To save money, why not make Concen a Magnet link-only site like The Pirate Bay? Halcyon 1 443 01-14-2012 08:14 AM
Last Post: thokling
  ConCen is in a financial crisis - again? Loke 24 2,502 01-12-2012 02:47 AM
Last Post: yeti
  BitCoin: Do you use it? Would you if ConCen did? yeti 4 700 07-30-2011 05:46 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  I suggest we re-name "money masters" h3rm35 12 1,641 07-13-2010 11:58 AM
Last Post: scaramanga667