Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Rest in Peace - Guru of Gang Starr
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Rest in Peace - Guru of Gang Starr
Damn, Im pretty down today. Never thought Id give a shit about any musicians/performers but this threw me for a loop. The ever-dying Hip Hop community really just lost a heavy hitter.
If I said this group didnt have a huge impact on my life, I'd be a liar. I grew up listening to their music. Real hip hop, an MC with his mic and his DJ. No poppy singing hooks, no autotune, no weak beats...no bullshit.
DJ Premier is one of the best hip hop music producers ever, it was really cool to have met the guy a couple years ago and talk with him in the studio. Guru was one of the illest lyricists, no doubt about it. Even in all the thuggery in rap and promotion of sensless crime & violence, Guru was a beacon of hope, positive reinforcement and his music definitely encouraged people to use their brains, think and be a better person. Even with all the apparent disdain between them lately, Im sure DJ Premier is hurting right now.
Guru will be missed. Very sad...Icon_sad

"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
RE: Rest in Peace - Guru of Gang Starr
INDEED very sad! Icon_sad

Turn it up! Sleepy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvta7xDo_4

The Anthem
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
(04-20-2010 03:39 PM)inheritor Wrote:  INDEED very sad! Icon_sad

Turn it up! Sleepy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvta7xDo_4

Thanks for that...One of my favorites actually...
I was actually going to post that one too, Glad you beat me to it.
Cool14
Classics

"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
This is a video by Guru's nephew reporting on issues the family has been having with Guru's producer "friend" Solaar/Solar.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I1aSzzTS1k

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KCJscBWy...re=related

~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
an awesome lyricist
Find all posts by this user
04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I grew up to a lot of the old school rap before it went all super-pimp gangsta ho style drinkin my chardonnay, there's still abit left out there. Gangstarr was among the intelligent rappers that got me into the genre. Along with Tribe Called Quest, a little bit of KRS-1, De La Soul, New Kingdom, Souls of Mischief, 3rd Bass, Black Moon, Immortal Technique, Eric B & Rakim, Pharcyde and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (ok my wigger ass listened to NWA and Wu Tang too) they were the game to me. The genre went all sideways when Kriss Kross came out though then it was a meltdown in the creative bits but there is still the odd gem that still drops like Saigon.

RIP GURU.

There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
RIP!!!

The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall. - Che Guevara

Resistance Films Youtube Channel

TriWooOx Podcast
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
(04-20-2010 07:35 PM)FastTadpole Wrote:  I grew up to a lot of the old school rap before it went all super-pimp gangsta ho style drinkin my chardonnay, there's still abit left out there. Gangstarr was among the intelligent rappers that got me into the genre. Along with Tribe Called Quest, a little bit of KRS-1, De La Soul, New Kingdom, Souls of Mischief, 3rd Bass, Black Moon, Immortal Technique, Eric B & Rakim, Pharcyde and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (ok my wigger ass listened to NWA and Wu Tang too) they were the game to me. The genre went all sideways when Kriss Kross came out though then it was a meltdown in the creative bits but there is still the odd gem that still drops like Saigon.

RIP GURU.
Wow, dude you like dropped all of my favorites of that era. Nice post.
Militia is another one I'd rewind over and over again. thanks TriWoo!
If I was more paranoid, I'd be going crazy. You guys are really spot on with the musical selection/influences in here today. Feeling the vibes, I love it.

~William Cooper

DTTNWO!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Photo Tony Blair - Man of Peace mothandrust 7 1,481 11-22-2010 05:40 PM
Last Post: Richard