Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Most secretive President in history
03-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Most secretive President in history
Obama becomes most secretive President in history as denied requests for information hits record
3/21/10

The Democratic administration of Barack Obama, who denounced his predecessor, George W. Bush, as the most secretive in history, is now denying more Freedom of Information Act requests than the Republican did.

Transparency and openness were so important to the new president that on his first full day in office, he dispatched a much-publicized memo saying: “All agencies should adopt a presumption in favor of disclosure, in order to renew their commitment to the principles embodied in FOIA, and to usher in a new era of open government. The presumption of disclosure should be applied to all decisions involving FOIA.”

One of the exemptions allowed to deny Freedom of Information requests has been used by the Obama administration 70,779 times in its first year; the same exemption was used 47,395 times in Bush’s final budget year.

An Associated Press examination of 17 major agencies’ handling of FOIA requests found denials 466,872 times, an increase of nearly 50% from the 2008 fiscal year under Bush.

As Ed Morrissey notes on the blog Hot Air, during a time of war and terrorist threats, any government can justify not releasing some sensitive information. And true, Obama had previously been a legislator, not an executive.

But why make such a big campaign deal over a previous administration’s secrecy when you’re going to end up being even more secretive?

On March 16 to mark annual Sunshine Week, designed to promote openness in government, Obama applauded himself by issuing a statement:

“As Sunshine Week begins, I want to applaud everyone who has worked to increase transparency in government and recommit my administration to be the most open and transparent ever.”

However, a new study out March 15 by George Washington University’s National Security Archive finds less than one-third of the 90 federal agencies that process such FOIA requests have made significant changes in their procedures since Obama’s 2009 memo.

So, a day later, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel sent out yet another memo. Since the agencies ignored the memo from the president, they’ll all snap to when the staffer’s note arrives, don’t you think?

source -- ://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/21/nation/la-na-ticket21-2010mar21

&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information The History of YHWH the Demon God Anarchist 34 9,309 01-29-2014 05:15 AM
Last Post: WalkintheSpirit
Video The Hidden History Of The Human Race drummer 7 540 01-10-2014 03:30 AM
Last Post: R.R
Brick Real History of the Bavarian Illuminati CharliePrime 0 148 12-15-2013 04:05 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  Frisian History synergy777 5 4,190 08-03-2013 04:48 AM
Last Post: EllyKrullMiller
  The Secret History of Silicon Valley macfadden 2 480 05-14-2013 04:35 PM
Last Post: TeslaandLyne
  Budget Cuts to Archives Put History Out of Reach h3rm35 0 448 09-28-2012 01:31 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
Star The Evil History of the British Royal Family therealnews 7 3,846 06-09-2011 09:41 PM
Last Post: newline1
  History Is Bunk? icosaface 2 574 05-28-2011 11:28 PM
Last Post: Mike_Smith
  Surprise -- The Very Dark Side of U.S. History mothandrust 0 507 10-12-2010 02:19 AM
Last Post: mothandrust
  Abby Barruel: Memoirs Illustrating the history of Jacobinism Scorpio 4 1,924 06-10-2010 04:21 AM
Last Post: Scorpio