Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which is the best vista firewall/antivirus program?
11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Which is the best vista firewall/antivirus program?
hiyall.
just inquiring as to peoples opinions on the best firewall/antivirus program, I'm using vista "ultimate" any and all of your suggestions are welcome.

p.s. anyone who suggests avg will be deleted.Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
RE: Which is the best vista firewall/antivirus program?
Any and every "software firewall" is a bad joke from a hacker's POV. Get a decent router, problem solved. I know, that's not the answer you were looking for, but it's the only answer a honest IT guy can give you.
11-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I use a really good one called "Ubuntu".

[Image: randquote.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2009 09:22 PM by JFK.)
I agree with Hans Olo.

[Image: Signature2.gif]
11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
have a good router, but i'm just looking for something computer-side for a little extra defence, to make sure things aren't connecting to wherever, programs aren't running without me saying so, which is something that a software firewall is good for. finding a good antivirus can also be a problem as different programs seem to pick up different things... problem is which one picks up them all ? i found a thread suggesting avira which i am currently testing the free version seems to be much better than avg for obvious reasons.
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2009 09:59 PM by damage.)
Ubuntu doesn't come with software firewall installed or configured by default last time I checked, maybe things changed. BTW, hardware firewall aka, router with SPI and stateful based firewall, are also a JOKE, actually, your better having both (soft and hard, in layers), but the most important is, if you want to get the best out of your firewall, you need to know how it works, how to create rules (correctly), and get used to managing it, most people don't care to do this.

if dealing with a software firewall, and software in general, exploits are found all the time (remote exploits are the golden nuggets), by non-employee's. You can block all the ports you want, you'll always need to use some service port, or your essentially doing nothing.

THERE IS NO SECURITY, get used to it.

If you care for your date, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

If you are just looking for virus protection (not necessarily prevention), then avast works. Just so you feel comfortable, you can run avast, and also occasionally, run clamav portable (of course updating it before scanning). Remember, all current A/V technology is based on "signature detection" databases, so you have to depend on the software provider to release these sequences as soon as they can, but many, actually, ALL OF THEM, miss many signatures, that is why I suggest multiple scanners based off different providers.

I would also suggest you look into vmware server, trust me, you'll like it if you've never heard of it before.

If your looking for a linux distribution that comes configured out of the default install with firewall and other security features, try SuSE (redhat based).

Good luck.
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Once you *think* you have your router set up correctly I would suggest taking some "quality time" with the shields up online utility by Gibson research company which can be accessed from this page :

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

( scroll down to "shields up" )

Wink

11-09-2009, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2009 10:08 PM by etqg.)
thanks damage. good info, much appreciated.
thanks jfk.
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2009 10:30 PM by JFK.)
(11-09-2009 10:07 PM)etqg Wrote:  thanks damage. good info, much appreciated.
thanks jfk.

YW... Just a side note, when I was setting mine up I had several ports which reported that they were closed when in fact they were not...

"Shields up" helped me diagnose that and eventually I did manage to close them all, with the exception of the ones I use for torrents ( which I have reassigned to obscure numbers ) Smile

edit to add - a quick recheck of my first 1056 ports...

[Image: 34tae75.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  wbStego: an open source steganography program solar 0 1,681 08-27-2009 04:19 AM
Last Post: solar
  Spent the whole day trying to uninstall AVG antivirus ! Weyland 7 1,312 02-01-2009 12:21 AM
Last Post: mastermg
  Test Your Antivirus ! xblackcode 6 1,013 06-22-2007 05:56 PM
Last Post: 1amz1z
  Encryption Program Uncrackable Unless You Have Both Files bando 34 4,109 04-30-2007 11:40 PM
Last Post: smariot
  Nsa Helped Microsoft Build Vista flatron 14 2,138 03-31-2007 10:48 AM
Last Post: bando
  Vista Serials Cracked Through Brute Force Method markj113 4 940 03-05-2007 08:50 AM
Last Post: yeti
  Vista Release Imminent Keen 5 773 02-02-2007 10:03 PM
Last Post: Fixation
  Vista Drm Cracked By Security Researcher viladrau 2 495 01-30-2007 01:20 PM
Last Post: Keen
  Vista Activation Hacked JohnDoe1984 10 1,582 01-10-2007 05:13 AM
Last Post: Guest