Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Use of LSD-25 for Computer Programming
06-18-2009, 01:52 AM

Here is a way I used LSD-25 for a complex programming project in 1975. I was working in New York developing a compiler for an application language called "MARLAN". This application was for the then popular IBM 360 and was written in 360 Assembler Language. There were six large phases for this application, and I was the responsible chief architect and programmer for the project. There were approximately eight hundred subroutines in the entire system.

Dennis R. Wier
Executive Director of Trance Research Foundation, Inc. Paris, France

At one point in the project I could not get an overall viewpoint for the operation of the entire system. It really was too much for my brain to keep all the subtle aspects and processing nuances clear so I could get a processing and design overview. After struggling with this problem for a few weeks, I decided to use a little acid to see if it would enable a breakthrough, because otherwise, I would not be able to complete the project and be certain of a consistent overall design. Overall design consistency was important to reduce program and design errors.

I used only seventy-five micrograms because I was not interested in tripping, as I had a specific, limited and definite purpose for the use of LSD. While stimulated by the LSD I was able to get the entire system wholly in my mind at the same time. I spent some time mentally visualizing various aspects of the compiler, the language and the processing which would take place. I did discover three or four design inconsistencies while being stimulated by the effect of the LSD, and I made notes for later checking.

After twenty-four hours when the effect of the LSD was completely gone, I went over my notes. I needed to have a measure of "faith" that the design changes suggested by my notes would produce the
beneficial effects they seemed to imply; that is, I was again in the condition of being not able to conceive of the entire system at the same time in my mind. Once all the changes were made, I was
able to successfully complete the programming of this huge system. The design changes I made reduced future program modification errors and contributed to the elegance of the design. The system was a
commercial success for my employer and was used for many years by them. Although the use of LSD was an important component of the success of the system, no one knew of its use except me.

page 22 maps • volume xviii number 1 • spring 2008

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v18n1/v...APS_24.pdf

“Everything Popular Is Wrong” - Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2009, 02:17 AM
HA! Awesome!
Thanks for the find, drummer!

“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
06-18-2009, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2009 03:00 AM by yeti.)
I don't do acid anymore, but when I need to see a coding project from "high altitude", I like to walk around for a couple of hours while stoned on skunk.

As a result, I can easily see the forest for the trees, and also come up with elegant solutions.

Doing low level coding while stoned is counterproductive in my experience, though...

[Image: randquote.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2009, 04:06 AM
You know If I could find a EUROPEAN therapist that still does LSD therapy I think i would consider doing it. I was watching a documentary lately with Hoffman talking about falling asleep and then waking up and feeling like everything was new and fresh. I would really love to wake up and feel like everything is new fresh again it would be wonderful.

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

[Image: Copyofsoldier2.jpg]
06-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Quote:waking up and feeling like everything was new and fresh

That's the hallmark of a successful trip.;)

“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
06-19-2009, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 07:19 AM by ---.)
Quote:
Quote:waking up and feeling like everything was new and fresh

That's the hallmark of a successful trip.;)

i agree

really interesting, thanks drummer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bioshock Infinite (computer game) Themes & Symbolism maybe ? drummer 1 380 05-05-2013 09:48 PM
Last Post: RaFTertheONE
  in need of technical computer help (hardware problems) Justinfinity 32 3,513 01-26-2010 07:33 AM
Last Post: TheQleaner
  nice video link of computer history Weyland 0 277 06-21-2009 12:48 AM
Last Post: Weyland
  Computer terror teenager jailed TriWooOx 6 765 09-21-2008 07:05 PM
Last Post: ---
  Computer components purchase Ratiocinator 24 1,675 03-14-2008 05:37 PM
Last Post: nataraja
  It has begun: The FBI is building the largest biometric computer database in the world, costing $1B MikeWB 1 317 12-23-2007 09:19 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe1984
  Strange case of computer espionage from Israel (largest in their history): Michael Haephrati & Ruth Brier-Haephrati MikeWB 0 347 10-04-2007 01:56 AM
Last Post: MikeWB
  Killer Addicted To Violent Computer Games Stabbed Nurse 70 Times drummer 11 1,449 06-15-2007 01:48 AM
Last Post: Conspiracy Dave
  I Was Wondering How Many Hours A Day Do You Spend On The Computer? Weyland 11 931 05-31-2007 08:37 PM
Last Post: Weyland
  My Computer Is Dead.. I'll Be Af(f**king)k Guest 45 2,488 05-19-2007 04:27 PM
Last Post: Hei Hu Quan