Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tip: Old night storage heater bricks & Greenhouses
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Tip: Old night storage heater bricks & Greenhouses
Not sure if this is entirely 'Concen' material, but I came across a great tip yesterday and I wanted to share it with you.

Old night storage bricks, placed in a greenhouse during the day, will help maintain the temperature at night! Simple eh?

Other bricks would work too, but night storage heater bricks are full of metal (and very heavy) so they'll work best.

For the deluxe installation, get a small solar panel and a length of ducting (from an old tumble dryer or vacuum cleaner etc) and an old 'puter fan.

Link them all up and use them to blow hot air from the top of the ghouse down onto the bricks during the day; then at night reverse the polarity to circulate the warm air surrounding the bricks around the ghouse.

Of course, you'll also need battery charging circuitry to do the night time thing, but even without that, it's still extremely smart imo.

(I actually had the full parts list lying around, including a ghouse, so you can see why I liked the idea immediately).

Hope someone finds that useful.

The three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collusion and maintain security dependence among the vassals, to keep tributaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together. Zbig the Ruthless.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 05:44 PM by ToddTraf.)
RE: Tip: Old night storage heater bricks & Greenhouses
I've been using black buckets or painted black and filled with water. Put them anywhere in your greenhouse you can find space.

Why arn't you trading seeds IanPotter?
05-01-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 05:54 PM by IanPotter.)
Not been playing on the forums for some time Todd. Am very much up for a trade though. Is there a UK thread should I look at?

(Excellent tip for the night storage heater brick deprived BTW. I'm lucky, my house was full of the damned things when I moved in. Now it's much colder, but I'm not quite as broke!)

The three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collusion and maintain security dependence among the vassals, to keep tributaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together. Zbig the Ruthless.
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
(05-01-2012 05:49 PM)IanPotter Wrote:  Am very much up for a trade though. Is there a UK thread should I look at?

No we're worldwide. I am currently awaiting a package from Europe. Tell your friends and post a list.

http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?t...#pid240595
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I'll check it out now. Thanks.