01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:Lana Ameen, who had no other health problems, died in hospital just two days after she apparently caught a cold and then had a high temperature.
Her mother, who is a nurse, and father, a doctor, want the Government to ensure the H1N1 vaccine is available to everyone, in particular children.
The family were visiting relatives in Stockport, Greater Manchester, when the youngster became ill on Christmas Eve.
Gemma Ameen and her husband, Zana, initially took their daughter to Stepping Hill Hospital where she was diagnosed with an infection and sent home.
Later the same day she was rushed back to the hospital after she suffered multiple fits. The couple from Quinton, Birmingham, claim she then had to be revived three times as they say a junior doctor refused to call specialist consultant.
Lana was eventually transferred to Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool but died the next day.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, Mrs Ameen, 28, said: "I want to say to people, to parents, if you can get the vaccine don't hesitate - the risk of not having it and the price you might pay is just too high.
"We have been so shocked by what has happened and we feel very strongly that everyone, particularly children, should have the vaccine. The Government has made the swine flu vaccine from last year available now - we should all be having it.
"Even financially, surely it makes sense. The swine flu vaccine is inexpensive and has already been bought - it cost £1,700 just to care for Lana in intensive care for one day."
Bosses at Stepping Hill have launched an investigation into the girl's treatment.
Dr Chris Burke, chief executive of Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, said: "The trust sends its condolences to the family of Lana Ameen. Our staff are deeply distressed at her sad death.
"The trust has begun a preliminary senior case review of the treatment provided to Lana at Stepping Hill Hospital during her two visits to the emergency department.
"To date, that review has identified that Lana received appropriate treatment and care in a timely fashion.
"While at Stepping Hill Hospital, Lana received all the care that could be provided by our own paediatric, intensive care, emergency department staff and the regional intensive care team.
"In spite of our interventions, Lana's health continued to deteriorate until her death at Alder Hey.
"We will extend an invitation to the family to meet with senior clinical staff to discuss the treatment provided to Lana and their obvious concerns."
Last month, a five-week-old boy who became critically ill with swine flu was earlier sent home from the same hospital with indigestion medicine.
The parents of Harvey Flanagan decided to take him to another hospital where the virus was revealed and he later recovered.